Welcome! This page is dedicated to parents who are new to the sport of swimming.
Being part of a swim team is an amazing experience for both swimmers and their parents. Your child will learn about dedication, sportsmanship, and teamwork while building friendships in the pool. They'll get an amazing workout too!
We recognize that joining a swim team for the first time can seem a bit overwhelming. Once you build an understanding of the basics, it is actually easy to be a the parent of a swimmer. We hope the information we've compiled below will put your mind at ease and get you excited for your first season with the NAAC swim team. If you still have questions, we are here to help. Feel free to email us at any time and we will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.
Important Information for New Parents
- The Norristown Area Aquatic Club is open to all swimmers from age 5 to 18, from beginners to Jr. Olympic qualifiers. The only requirement to join the team is that your child can swim one lap (25 Yards) of freestyle or backstroke on their own.
- If they are not quite able to swim 25 yards on their own yet, no problem. We have a program for them to join the team and continue to learn and grow until they can. Please note, safety is our top priority, they will not be able to swim in a meet until they can swim a full lap independently. Ask a club official or coach for more info.
- Swim Practices
- The most frequent question that new parents ask about being part of the swim team is "How many practices does my child need to attend each week?". While this answer varies from team to team, we ask that swimmers do their best to attend at least 2 practices a week. If it is possible for them to attend more than 2, that's even better. The more practices they attend, the stronger and better they will become.
- Swim Meets
- Swim meets are typically held on weekends, beginning the 1st or 2nd week of October and go through Mid - March. We try to space out meets so as not to have meets on consecutive weekends whenever possible.
- Championship Meets
- Every swimmer will be invited to one of the Championship meets Mini for 8 yr old and younger and Bronze Champs for 9 to 14 yr olds.
- As your swimmer improves, they may meet the time standard for a higher level meet such as Silver Champs or Junior Olympics. These time standards are posted during the season for everyone.
- Parent Volunteering
- Swim Team does not exist without the kindness and generosity of parents of swimmers volunteering help run meets and the club. Very often these Jobs are some of the best seats in the house. Everyone tries to make it fun also. More information about volunteering is posted on the 'Volunteering' page of the site.
Norristown Area Aquatic Club (NAAC) est. 1973
PO Box 125
Fairview Village, PA 19409
A 501(c)(3) Non-Profit serving the community