NEW PARENT/SWIMMER Meet Cheat Sheet
How do I sign up for a meet?
Click on the Events tab, highlight the meet you want to attend, and click "Attend this Event." Events for most meets will be chosen by your swimmer's coach. All you need to do is make sure to sign up online.
How do I sign up for a volunteer job at a meet?
Click on the Events tab, highlight the meet you are signing up for, and click "Sign up for job."
How much do the meets cost?
Meet fees vary...There is always a swimmer surcharge to be able to swim at the meet, along with splash fees (the cost per event) and coaches fees. For normal, in-town meets surcharges usually run between $5-$10, splash fees around $5 per event, and coaches fees between $15-20. So a two-session meet might be around $50-90. Championship meets are usually more -- prelim-final meets have higher surcharges and event fees.
If you qualify for Outreach membership, you should also qualify for Utah Swimming's meet fee program, which reduces the cost of the splash fees. This does require application, so check out the Financial Responsibility section of our Parents tab.
What do I do when I get there?
1. If the meet is positive check in, go to that area immediately.
2. Second, find your team area and set up whatever chairs, blankets or comforts you have.
3. Check in with your coach (particularly for a negative check in meet).
4. Prepare for warmup.
What is the difference between positive and negative check in?
A positive check-in means that the swimmer, upon arrival, will stand in line at the check-in desk to confirm their events. These check-ins are usually divided by gender and age group. If the swimmer fails to check in, he/she will be scratched from (taken out of) their events. Many of the meets we attend outside of Utah are positive check in.
A negative check-in is a meet in which the coach tells the clerk of course directly if a swimmer is absent (the coach scratching the swimmer). The coach will post a list of what the swimmers are swimming...we normally do not write events on the hands of our year-round, club swimmers. Usually, negative check in occurs the night before the session begins. Negative check in meets are typical in Utah Swimming.
What should I take with me?
- Coach phone number (435-669-6093 to text Coach Dani)
- TEAM cap(s) & goggles (take a spare just in case!)
- Water and/or gatorade
- Two towels (one to dry off with, one to wrap around you)
- Warm clothing for winter meets
- T-shirt and sunscreen for summer, outdoor meets
- HEALTHY, appropriate snacks (crackers, veggies, bagels, granola bars, PB&J, nuts, choco milk, etc.)
- LEAVE the candy, greasy, salty and heavy foods at home. Coach will confiscate unhealthy snacks!
- Stuff to do (be careful of iPods and other expensive equipment)(cards, art/craft, friendship bracelets, books)
Most venues offer some sort of concessions. You may want to take money to purchase snacks. However, these concessions are NOT always good choices for athletes! Make sure to stay away from sugary, greasy, acidic or salty foods. They can make you feel tired and can interfere with your performance!