Background-image
CGBD Sponsors/Partners
Riverside+Orthopedic+%26+Sports+Medicine
TowneBank
Maritime+Products+International+Seafood
CHKD
gotCureage
The+Roofing+Company
The+Remodeling+Company
Speedo
Marriot+at+City+Center
Sponsors
Practice Groups

COAST GUARD BLUE DOLPHINS PRACTICE GROUP TIERS

CGBD Registration and Evaluation Form
DEVELOPMENTAL TIER

FLIPPERS

  • CGBD Flippers is a bridge practice group for 4 to 6 year olds to get them ready for the Blue & Gold program.
  • Continue your summer league experience to develop the technique and knowledge to enhance your swimming performance
  • Develop efficient stroke technique in freestyle, backstroke
  • Learn an effective breaststroke & butterfly
  • Learn turns for all four Olympic strokes
  • Learn competitive starts for all four Olympic strokes
  • Introduce interval training techniques
  • Increase swimming endurance
  • Improve cardiovascular fitness
  • Incorporate swimming activities into life me fitness habits 


BLUE/GOLD

  • Develop efficient stroke technique in freestyle, backstroke
  • Learn an effective breaststroke & butterfly
  • Learn turns for all four Olympic strokes
  • Learn competitive starts for all four Olympic strokes
  • Introduce interval training techniques
  • Increase swimming endurance
  • Improve cardiovascular fitness
  • Incorporate swimming activities into lifetime fitness habits
  • Build upon your summer league experience to develop the technique and knowledge to enhance your swimming performance
  • Blue Practice Group will be primarily for 7 to 9 year old swimmers and the Gold Practice Group will be primarily 9-12 year old swimmers


AGE GROUP TIER

JUNIOR

  • The junior practice group completes the transition to the age group swimming.
  • Swimmers in this group will have an increase in training time, greater independence using the pace clock to determine when to start sets, exercises, or swims and learning to read the pace clock to get practice times.
  • More integration of speed variation and energy management techniques which mirror our race strategies are incorporated into the practice regiment.
  • Practices still devote 60% of the time toward maintenance of stroke, turn, and finish mastery with the remaining 40% of the practice sessions used for conditioning.
  • At this level swimmers will be introduced some basic dryland  training and to practices with not only skill building and maintenance objectives but specific training objectives which will adjust through the season to meet individual and team goals of achievement.
  • Swimmers in this group are primarily 8 and unders and can expect to swim between 1,200 and 2,000 yards/meters at each training session.
  • Swimmers are expected to attend practice 4 times in a two week period.
  • Consistent attendance of 6-7 practices in two weeks and total independence using the pace clock as a guide for training session management.
  • Flexible training opportunities still allow for participation in other activities; however, it is expected that all swimmers qualifying for local championship meets will participate.
  • Most swimmers compete locally at age group meets with others competing in some regional or statewide meets

 

AGE GROUP

  • The age group practice group emphasizes strong training and race habits while maintaining mastery in stroke technique and turns.
  • Swimmers in this practice group will independently guide themselves through the training session using the pace clock while being introduced to more advanced interval based training.
  • More complex speed variations and use of energy systems will be employed to maximize the 60% of practice time devoted toward conditioning and strengthening the swimmers.
  • 40% of training sessions will still be devoted toward maintenance of stroke technique and turn mastery.
  • Dryland training will be conducted daily as swimmers in this practice group demonstrate great strength and stability.
  • Within the age group practice group swimmer will be further broken down to three training levels.
  • Swimmers in this practice group are primarily 9-10 years old and can expect to swim between 2,500-4,000 yard/meters at each training session.
  • Swimmers are expected to practice 7 times in a two week period.
  • Consistent attendance of 7-8 practices in two weeks, being part of the highest training level, and consistent demonstrated leadership in during training sessions is the minimum requirements.
  • Flexible training opportunities still allow for participation in other activities; however, it is expected that all swimmers qualifying for local championship meets will participate. Swimmers compete locally at age group meets and/or in statewide meets


PREP

  • The prep practice group begins the transition from age group swimming to senior level swimmer.
  • Swimmers in this group are primarily 11-12 years old and devote 70% of their training sessions to conditioning and are still fully utilizing the remaining 30% of their practice toward maintenance of superior stroke techniques and turns.
  • Swimmers are expected to be more focused on execution of the entire workout consistently on a daily basis and begin the process of taking greater responsibility for their swimming success.
  • This practice group has three training levels that can expect to swim 3,500 to 6,000 meters/yards per day.
  • Dryland training is an integral part of the training regiment to increase core body stroke, better balance, and increase individual athletic ability.
  • Regular meetings are held between swimmers and coaches to establish goals and to better educate each swimmer on a total approach to improved performance, i.e. nutrition, academic standards, personal responsibilities, proper sleep, etc.
  • Swimmers are expected to practice 8 times in a two week period.
  • Consistent attendance of 9 or more practices in two weeks, being part of the highest training level, knowing repeat times during practice, and consistent demonstrated leadership during training sessions is the minimum requirements.
  • Flexible training opportunities still allow for participation in other activities; however, it is expected that all swimmers qualifying for championship meets will participate.
  • Swimmers compete locally in some age group meets, in statewide meets, and selected invitational meets that may require travel


SENIOR TIER

HIGH SCHOOL PREP

  • The high school prep practice group is primarily for high school-aged swimmers who enjoy the benefits of the sport and want to balance the demands of swimming with other activities
  • It will also provide an excellent opportunity to prepare for high school swimming and later in the year, summer league swimming
  • Session 1 will focus on stroke technique and building endurance prior to the high school season
  • Session 2 will focus on continued building of endurance and working race based training
  • Session 3 will focus on technique as well as maintaining aerobic conditioning leading into the summer season
  • Swimmers in this group are ages 13-18
  • This practice group has can expect to swim 3,200 to 5,000 meters/yards per day
  • The swimmers will be members of the CGBD Team and will be encouraged to participate in meets within the local area to help track progress


SENIOR

  • The senior practice group is designed for those swimmers making the next step in completing the transition to senior level swimming.
  • These swimmers have shown the ability to perform consistently within practices, possess a positive attitude, have adapted their strokes to a more efficient level while training, and show the desire to achieve at the highest possible level.
  • This practice group also consists of swimmers who posses the above mentioned qualities but who may be involved with swimming as one of many things they enjoy doing while considering swimming as a primary activity, and whose commitment level is based on the minimum standards set for this group.
  • Swimmers in this group are primarily 13-14 years old and devote 80% of their training sessions to conditioning and are still fully utilizing the remaining 20% of their practice toward maintenance of superior stroke techniques and turns.
  • Swimmers are expected to be more focused on execution of the entire workout consistently on a daily basis and take a greater sense responsibility for their swimming success.
  • This practice group has three training levels that can expect to swim 4,200 to 7,000 meters/yards per day.
  • Dryland training is an integral part of the training regiment to increase core body stroke, better balance, and increase individual athletic ability. Swimmers are expected to practice 10 times in a two week period.
  • Consistent attendance of 12 or more practices in two weeks, being part of the highest training level, and wishing to commit to swimming as their main non-academic activity


NATIONAL PREP

  • The national prep practice group is designed for those swimmers wishing to pursue the heights of their abilities as a senior swimmer.
  • These swimmers have shown the ability to perform consistently within practices, possess a positive attitude, have adapted their strokes to a more efficient level, and show the desire to achieve at the highest possible level.
  • This practice group also consists of swimmers who posses the above mentioned qualities and have pared down their activities so that swimming is their primary non-academic activity.
  • Swimmers in this group are primarily 14 and above and devote 85% of their training sessions to conditioning and are still fully utilizing the remaining 15% of their practice toward maintenance of superior stroke techniques and turns.
  • Swimmers are expected to have mastered consistent execution of the entire workout on a daily basis and are taking responsibility for their swimming success.
  • This practice group has three training levels that can expect to swim 5,500 to 9,000 meters/yards per day.
  • Dryland and weight training is an integral part of the training regiment to increase core body strength, better balance, and increase individual athletic ability. 
  • Practice expectations are graduated by experience:
    - Freshman and below are expected to attend at least 11 practices every two weeks (mornings are optional for these swimmers and do not count towards the total).
    - Sophomores are expected to attend at least 13 practices every two weeks (one of which, each week is a morning workout).
    - Juniors and seniors are expected to attend at least 15 practices every two weeks, including mornings.
  • The national prep swimmers, parents, and coach will sign an agreement of understanding specifying the training standards, commitment requirements (meets and practice attendance), and expectations for the coming season.
  • National prep swimmers with a national level meet qualifying time who are team leaders and have sustained consistent performance that exceed the standards for the group may apply to be a national team member


NATIONAL TEAM

  • The national team members are select swimmers that must meet specific criteria as determined by the head coach.
  • Each swimmer is assessed according to their achievements, demonstrated leadership, and application.
  • National team members’ level of commitment and individual capability must be sustainable at the levels commensurate with elite athletes.
  • Our national team swimmers are qualified for national level competition.
  • Members are expected to be leaders at daily practice sessions and the entire team.
  • Each swimmer will sign a contract, which will be co-signed by a parent or legal guardian in which all parties concerned state understanding and agreement with the standards established, commitment required, and expectations for the coming season.
  • National team swimmers should expect to be held to the highest standards and most rigorous training routine.
  • National team swimmers will be the epitome of CGBD swimming and will always support all teammates at all levels to the utmost of their ability.
  • National team members in most cases will participate to the exclusion of most other non-academic activities.
  • National team swimmers have achieved success on the state, zone, and national levels including Olympic trials