Swim teams across the country are always looking for folks to step up and become a volunteer within the sport of swimming. There is no better way to help this great sport than to become an official. Without officials, our swimmers would not be able to enjoy the sport they have grown to love. Most meets require 13 officials per session to run smoothly. Since most meets have 4 sessions over 2 days, that's 52 officiating slots per meet! There are different types of positions, so you're sure to find something that appeals to you:
- Wet Deck Officials - stroke and turn judges (can advance to chief judge, starter and referee)
- Dry Deck Officials - timing equipment operators, timing judges and recorders
We at WST are always looking for parents willing to invest a small amount of time to receive such great benefits including a front row seat to all your children's swim meets, learning the details of how the sport runs and becoming a member of a great group of people! There are SO many officials on deck who attend weekly meets and their children are grown and having children of their own. It becomes a hobby to many folks. If you are interested in becoming a member of this great group of people the first step is our annual official’s clinic held each fall September or October. A date is usually released late August as to when the meeting will occur. If you have any questions please email our Team Officials Chair Kelly Warnagiris, email@example.com. Hope to see you all on deck in the near future!!
Stroke & Turn Certification Process
Initial Education and Training:
Training at Swim Meets:
- Shadow 3 sessions with a trainer - no more than 2 session per meet.
- Work 3 sessions making calls with a mentor (white collar golf shirt and navy blue shorts/skirt/pants & white sneakers) - Please Note - before making calls, USA Registration, Background Check and Athlete Protection Course must be completed
- Submit your completed certification card to your District Chair - MCSizemore@earthlink.net
Virginia Swimming District Chair: Mike Sizemore - MCSizemore@earthlink.net
WST Team Chair: Kelly Warnagiris - firstname.lastname@example.org - 703-283-9121