Helpful Information for New Swim Parents:
Welcome To The Wonderful & Exciting World Of Competitive Swimming! As a new swim parent, we know you have lots of questions. We've developed our "New Swim Parent" toolkit below as a helpful resource to set you and your swimmer up for success. As always, please contact our coaching staff if you have questions. We're always happy to help. Happy Swimming & GO GYST!
- What Does My Child Need For Swim Practice? All you need for your very first practice is a swimming suit (preferably a 1-piece competition suit for girls & jammers or a racing suit for boys), a pair of goggles and a great attitude! Beyond that, most swimmers wear a swim cap (to put longer hair in, and to help with buoyancy). If you are starting with the Junior or Senior group you may need other equipment, but you can get by for a few practices without it. Talk to your coach to find out what else may be needed.
- All About Swim Meets: Check out the doc for detailed info on what to bring, what to expect, how a meet runs, and a host of other info to answer your questions.
- Writing Events On Hands For Swim Meets: Before your child arrives a swim meet, please be sure to write his/her events on his/her hand with a sharpie marker. This is mandatory for all swimmers ages 12 & under, as it helps them learn to be responsible for getting themselves behind the blocks in time to swim their events. Check out the link above for a great tutorial on how to write events on hands. Questions? Please ask your child's coach.
- Using TeamUnify: Helpful info on team registration, payment, meet registration & more.
- Glossary of Swimming Terms: Check out these commonly used phrases & words from the competitive swimming world. While not comprehensive, this list will give you a better understanding of some of the sport's jargon. Questions? Ask our coaches!
More Helpful Resources For Parents:
The Ten Commandments For Swim Parents
College Swimming Overview
College Recruiting Plans
Questions To Think About
Fastweb! Find Scholarships