|| Howard Suamico Storm Breakers
Practice Group Descriptions
AGE GROUP (swimmers 7th grade and younger)
Age Group Rookie
The HSSB Rookie level is for new swimmers with little experience who are excited about starting a FUN sport. This group will swim 2 times a week for 45 minutes. The main focuses will be introduction to concepts of competitive swimming, exposure to all 4 strokes, and of course having fun!
Coaches will test new swimmers to make sure that they are ready for swim team. If not, we will ask that swimmers go back to swim lessons and try the team again the next season.
Information about upcoming tryouts can be found here
Age Group Bronze
Age Group Bronze is for swimmers that have shown an understanding of all 4 strokes. This group will swim 3 times a week for one hour. The main focuses of this group are fine tuning technique, expanding their knowledge of the basics of competitive swimming, and increasing their training.
- Approval from Rookie coaches that a swimmer is ready
- 3 of 4 strokes legal (wouldn’t get disqualified)
Age Group Silver
Age Group Silver is for swimmers that have shown the ability to handle more endurance based training and are technically proficient in 3 of 4 strokes with all 4 being legal in meets. This group will practice 4 times a week for 1 hour and 15 minutes. The main focus of this group will be continuing to fine tune technique, while introducing longer sets.
- 5 x 100 freestyle good technique and walls @ 2:00
- 5 x 50 flutter kick @ 1:15
- 4 x 100 IM with legal exchanges and [email protected] 2:15
Age Group Gold
Age Group Gold is for swimmers 7th grade and younger that have displayed the ability for the top level of training for this age as well as great technique. This group will practice 5 days a week for 1 hour and 30 minutes. The main focus of this group is to continue to build endurance and introduce the concepts of the next level of training.
- Swimmers must swim 5 x 100 free with good turns/walls and technique @ 1:50
- Swimmers must swim 4 x 50 fly legally with good turns/walls and technique @ 1:05
- Swimmers must swim 4 x 50 back legally with good turns/walls and technique @ 1:00
- Swimmers must swim 4 x 50 breast legally with good turns/walls and [email protected] 1:05
- Swimmers must swim 4 x 100 IM @ 2:00
- Swimmers must flutter kick 8 x 50 @ 1:15
SENIOR (swimmers 8th grade and older)
Senior 1 is for swimmers in 8th grade and older who have not quite reached the endurance level required for Senior 2 or are brand new to the team. This group will have 5 1 hour and 15 minute practices offered a week and at least 3 should be attended. This group’s main focus will be building endurance, fine tuning technique, and expanding their competitive swimming knowledge in order to get them ready for the next level.
Senior 2 is for swimmers 8th grade and older that are not quite ready for the training of Senior 3. Some swimmers younger than 8th grade may be placed in Senior 2 with coach approval. The main focus will be a continuation of the concepts introduced in Age Group Gold, increasing training volume, as well as racing strategies. This group will practice 5 times a week for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- Swimmers must swim 10 x 100 free @ 1:40
- Swimmers must swim 8 x 50 fly @ :55
- Swimmers must swim 8 x 50 back @ :50
- Swimmers must swim 8 x 50 breast @ 1:00
- Swimmers must swim 4 x 200 IM @ 3:30
- Swimmers must kick 10 x 50 @ 1:05
Senior 3 is the top training level for HSSB. This group is for varsity level high school swimmers as well as college swimmers. This group will practice 5 times a week for 2 hours, will do doubles in the Summer, and will have the option for additional morning practices during the school year once they become available again
- Swimmers must swim 10 x 100 free @ 1:25
- Swimmers must swim 8 x 50 fly @ :50
- Swimmers must swim 8 x 50 back @ :45
- Swimmers must swim 8 x 50 breast @ :55
- Swimmers must swim 4 x 200 IM @ 3:00
- Swimmers must kick 10 x 50 @ 1:00
Some non varsity level swimmers may be placed in Senior 3 with coach approval.