OSCA will provide equal matching funds up to $4000.00 for the year.
• Hold Roundtable discussions between sessions at swim meets.
• Coaches are already on site use down time to educate and mentor. Coach leading the round table receives honorarium (up to three per year). The Club of an attending coach receives $25.00 per coach (up to $ 100/coach per year) AS the opportunity to be used nearly every week.
• Use teams of a Lead Coach (mentor) and four assistant coaches (mentees) to run the LSC’s B/C camps throughout the year. Use the OSI B/C Camp funds to run the clinics and pay coaches expenses (mileage and lodging) were needed. The coaches Mentorship Program shall provide an Honorarium for each Mentor and each mentee. This method provides multiple benefits in that the mentorship opportunity is tied directly into a learning/teaching session of the clinic environment. Added benefit is the B/C swimmers of the state get to have the experience of working with some of the LSC’s top coaches.
• We will also offer limited One on One opportunities as follows.
2019 Mentorship Program Guidelines
The mentor program is designed to expose coaches to a line of shared information. The purpose is to bring new information into your area, as well as, train our future coaches for a career in coaching. This program is open to all coaches that are currently certified and working for a club in swimming. We thank you for your interest in this program and hope with its success will come years of mentorships in the future.
Roundtables: Let Jody and Rick know that you plan to hold one. Use the Fillable report form that is on the OSCA website to report the roundtable subject, Coach that lead the roundtable and all of the coaches that attended the roundtable. Find the form on OSI website coaches/Education/Mentoring tab.
B/C Clinics: All clubs in OSI are encouraged to hold a B/C clinic. These clinics are designed to encourage beginning swimmers to obtain the skills necessary to advance their swimming skills. These camps are an excellent opportunity for fostering a mentor/mentee relationship in coaching. Download the camp coach form at the OSI website. Fill it out and send it to Rick and Jody. Please make sure that you follow all of the parameters, paperwork and deadlines as any deviation may disqualify you from receiving reimbursement.
Qualifications for benefits are as follows:
Novice level: Main coaching duties are at a novice level and coach has been registered with an team for minimum 1 year. $250 reimbursement and max visit time of 1 day. Mentor coach must be in the LSC.
Age Group level: Main coaching duties are at age group level and coach has been registered with an team for minimum 1year. $500 reimbursement and max visit time of 2 days. Mentor coach must be in the LSC or surrounding LSC.
Senior level: Main coaching duties are with senior level athletes and coach has been registered with an team for minimum 5 consecutive years. $1000 reimbursement and max visit time of 3 days. Mentor coach may be in any US state.
The following is the number of approvals per category.
a). Novice Level ------2 awards granted
b). Age group level----2 awards granted
c). Senior level -------1 award granted
Qualifications for mentor choice:
You must declare chosen mentor and what you are attaining from the arrangement. The following reasons may be applied. If different please explain in detail the arrangement you are hoping to achieve.
a) mentors knowledge and work with novice athletes.
b) age group coaching and advancement.
c) senior athlete development from age group to nationals
d) administration of dry side, club administration and growth.
e) other options arranged between mentor and mentoree. Details provided
*Restrictions apply, coaches that are eligible for USA swimming's national junior team visit program are ineligible to participate as mentoree, but may be asked to mentor other OSCA coaches.
2019 Mentorship Application
Date: _____________ Email (for contact purposes): _______________________
Club: _____________ #Yrs coaching in: ___________________
Reimbursement applying for (Circle one only): Novice Age Group Senior
Please give a brief description of who, where, and when you would be visiting.
Please give a brief description of what you plan to learn from mentor listed above.
The following deadlines must be adhered to for acceptance into the Mentorship program.
June 1 - deadline for application form to from coach or club
June 8 - announcement of selected coaches
November 19 - reports due to OSCA treasurer on mentor program details
December 19 - report due to USA swimming office on results of pilot program and future of program.
1. To mentee from OCSA, made in one payment after submittal of all receipts with an accounting of any expenses incurred during trip. Funds will only be mailed once all reports and forms have also been received to the office. Including travel (mileage, flights or rental vehicles), hotel, and meals incurred during proposed dates up to the max allowed for approved trip.
2. Completed forms are to be sent to the persons listed below:
Jody Braden Preferred method email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Reimbursement form/receipts to OSCA treasurer:
1940 NW Highland Drive Corvallis, Or 97330
Selection committee consists of current board. They are tasked with the following selection procedures.
A) Committee will notify applicants via email as to whether or not they have been selected for mentorship program.
B) Committee selection of applicants will take into consideration whether or not a team has received prior educational funding from in current application year.
C) Committee will take into consideration geographic location and team size when choosing the participants.
________ a) Application for mentorship program
________ b) Mentor Wrap-up of visit form
________ c) review of mentor and what they contributed to mentoree
________ d) all receipts with description for reimbursement