This is a high-performance training group for ages 14 and older who have competed in their last NCS Age Group Championships that is designed to prepare swimmers for regional and national levels of competition. The emphasis will be on increased aerobic conditioning, as well as the physical, mental and emotional preparation required for potential placement in the Platinum group.
This group will focus on issues such as advanced stroke mechanics, training of specific energy systems, perfecting race strategies, proper nutrition, individual goal setting, team goal setting, and developing and understanding of the importance of proper mental preparation for high performance. Training will include a specifically designed dryland strength and conditioning program.
Requirements for Entry into Gold Group
Swimmers will enter the Gold group only upon invitation of the Gold group coach. To be considered for placement into the Gold group swimmers must first be able to complete the Goals of the Silver 1 Group. In addition, swimmers must be able to complete each of the following training sets and performance criteria:
- 1 LC YMCA National Time Standard
- Competitive Experience at NCS Age Group Champs
- Four NCS Senior Champ Time Standards (SC or LC)
- Possess High Performance Goals at the State and National Level
- You have Chosen to Dedicate Yourself to a Single Sport
- Excel in Senior Wide Test Sets Throughout Season
Practice & Meet Attendance Expectations
- Swimmers are expected to attend 100% of workouts available.
- Attendance of morning practices are encouraged during the school year, but will be at the discretion of the Gold group coach, and morning workouts will not serve as a substitute to afternoon and Saturday morning workouts in fulfilling an athlete’s attendance requirement.
- Athletes who fail to meet this requirement, evaluated over each month, will be moved to one of the Silver training groups.
- Swimmers are expected to attend all meets prescribed by the Gold group coach including the highest-level championship meet that the swimmer qualifies for.
- Focus meets for this group are the NCS Senior Championships, YMCA Nationals and USA Swimming Junior Nationals, as well as any other potential end of the season championship meet.
Group Outcomes (As Outlined in the YOTA Athlete Progression Model)
|Skills in Water
- Distance Per Stroke
- Intense Focus on Details - Especially Turns and Underwaters
- Self-Commitment to becoming a better athlete
- Raising Minimum Standards for Daily Work Ethic and Attention to Techinique
- Bringing and Attitude of Eagerness to Excel to New Levels in Training and Racing
- Introduction to High Performance Training (Both in and out of the water)
- Preparing Athletes for Regional and National Competition
- Detailed Knowledge of Pacing and Splitting for All Strokes and Events in Practice and Competition
- Leading with the YMCA Cor Valuies
- Excellent Coach/Swimmer Relationship Buil;d around Honest Communication and Volunteerism and Philanthropy
- Living a Healthy Lifestyle
- Making Mature Decisions Away from the Pool
|Meets & Competition
- Relays! Relays! Relays!
- Team Success at NCS Senior Champs, Capital Classic, and YMCA Nationals
- Track Your IMX Score
- Long Course Emphasis
- Progression to Platinum Group
- Focus on ALL Strokes
- Focus on ALL Events
- Score at NCS Senior Champs & Captial Classic
- Qualify for (and score in) YMCA Nationals in Multiple Events