Parent Volunteers are essential to a successful swim team program. All families are required to volunteer or complete the Opt Out form in the Registration Folder. There are lots of opportunities for volunteering throughout the season at meets, pretzel sales and special events. Please check volunteer postings regularly, as additional openings will become available (especially the week of a meet). We also have Seasonal Jobs, which are volunteer jobs you agree to do for the duration of the season. For any questions related to volunteering or for more info about Seasonal Jobs for the 2019-2020 season, please contact Heather Wauls at [email protected]
- All families must volunteer a minimum of 3 events (meets, pretzel sales or special events) PLUS the Winter Luau OR pay the Opt Out fee.
- Snack Stand donations are requested for home meets but these donations do not count towards volunteer requirements.
- Volunteers are required to check in with the Meet Volunteer Coordinator and complete the job as designated in order to receive volunteer credit.
- Secure gymnasium at Y
- Prepare communications (flyer, blurb for website, email, etc)
- Collect $, track head count
- Order pizzas
- Arrange for pizzas to come to Y
- Coordinate gym set-up and clean-up (tables/chairs)
- Send drink and snack needs to Volunteer VP (for website posting)
- Prepare games, fun activities, and/or music if desired
Meet Volunteer Coordinator (home and away meets):
Home Meets: Greet all swim families at the main entrance for league meets, ensure swimmers sign in; Ensure all Gator meet volunteers check in and know where/when to report for their chosen jobs (list provided by VP Volunteers); Direct all visiting swimmers to locker rooms; Return confirmed volunteer list to VP Volunteers at start of meet
Away Meets: check in all Gator volunteers (timers, officials, etc)
Photographer (multiple positions available)
- Take photos at meets and special events
- Send photos to team secretary for social media/website postings
- Create photo video for end of season banquet
- Copiy video onto DVD for familes (reimbursed for cost of DVDs)
Score Table Runner (home meets):
Snack Stand Set-Up Helper (home meets):
- Arrives at 10:30am on home meet days
- Brings 3-4 bags of ice for coolers (bring receipt to snack stand for reimbursement)
- Helps set up snack stand
- Work the snack stand until regular shift volunteers start at 1:00pm
Snack Stand Food Shopper
- Purchase snack stand items as requested by snack stand coordinator (provide receipt for reimbursement). This job is flexible and can be done at your convenience in the days before a meet.
Deck Parent Monitor: Needs to be accessible on pool deck during meets to monitor pool area entry; Prevents parents from entering the deck; Monitors swimmer bathroom breaks, snack stand runs, etc.
Timers – Using provided stopwatch and/or plunger, time and record each race in a specific lane. Timers are expected to lean over the pool edge to see the swimmer touch the wall. This job is very easy and gives you the chance to see each race up close! No prior experience is necessary. Parents are not allowed to use cell phones while timing.
Back Up Timers- Act as a timer and be prepared to step in for another timer who missed a start. Provide restroom breaks for timers as needed.
Coaches Concierge- Ensure all timers, coaches, and meet officials have water. Provide restroom breaks for timers, runners, and finish judges as needed. Empty pool deck trash cans as needed.
Place Judge - The place judge stands at the end of pool and writes down which lane finishes 1st, 2nd, etc. No technical knowledge of swimming is required, but it does require the ability to focus your attention for close races. No prior experience necessary. Parents are not allowed to use cell phones while judging.
Stroke and Turn Judge - These judges follow the action poolside and observe swimmers to be sure they are performing legal strokes and turns. Illegal strokes, kicks, and turns are reported to the referee to ensure fair competition. Level I Certification is required. A Certification Class will be offered prior to the first swim meet.
Referee/Starter - This judge signals the start of each heat and is in charge of all 'wet side' administration and decisions. Level II Certification is required. A Certification Class will be offered prior to the first swim meet.
Pool Deck Clean-Up- Assist in returning both lifeguard stands to appropriate locations; assist in returning bleachers to Martin pool deck; assist in removing outside lane lines in lanes 1 and 6; assist in returning timing equipment to supply closet; assist in cleaning up trash on pool deck. No prior experience needed.
Snack Stand- Snack stand volunteers will sell food, work cash box, and assist in cleaning up of snack stand, including: cleaning out coolers, cleaning hot dog roller, returning supplies to Swim Team closet. No prior experience needed.