Learn-To-Swim Levels 1-6
Children ages 3 and older are perfect for the Flashes Aquatics Learn-to-Swim Program. Each child is evaluated at the beginning of the session and placed in a station with children of similar ability. The Flashes Aquatics swim program advances children through 6 progressive stations, or levels, to build their swimming skills. During the course of the program, children start with introductory skills, such as floating, and work their way up to learning multiple strokes and water safety skills. After Level 6, children can continue onto our Advanced (Pre-Club) lessons, which will prepare students for competitive swimming.
Level 1: Water Exploration
New to the water, or some experience in the water, but willing to learn. Should be able to listen and follow directions from the instructor and be independent from their parent. Child is capable to enter and exit the pool with little assistance.
- Fully submerge face in water
- Front and back float with support
- Kicking on front and back with support
- Enter and exit the water independently
Level II:Primary Skills
Be able to comfortably place face and head in water. Child is capable to enter and exit the pool unassisted. Can perform front and back float for 3 seconds with support.
- Float on front and back unsupported for 5 seconds
- Swim on front 5 yards without assistance
- Swim on back 5 yards without assistance
- Retrieve objects underwater chest deep
Level III: Stroke Readiness
Able to float unsupported for at least 5 seconds on front and back and swim 5 yards of front and back crawl without assistance.
- Swim the front crawl for 10 yards
- Swim the back crawl for 10 yards
- Jump into deep water
- Bobs in water over the child’s head
Level IV: Stroke Development
Can swim 15 yards front crawl using rhythmic breathing, swim 15 yards of back crawl, and tread water for 30 seconds
- Deep water bobs
- Standing dive from side of pool
- Elementary backstroke for 10 yards
- Front & back crawl 25 yards (entire length of pool)
- Breaststroke & Sidestroke kick with kick board
Level V: Stroke Refinement
Child is able to swim 25 yards of front/back crawl, 15 yards of breaststroke, and tread water for 1 minute.
- Front & back crawl for 50 yards
- Breaststroke & sidestroke for 10 yards
- Elementary backstroke for 25 yards
Level VI: Skill Proficiency
Continuously swim front and back crawl for 50 yards, breaststroke and elementary backstroke for 25 yards, and tread water for 2 minutes.
- Front & back crawl 100 yards
- Breaststroke & sidestroke 25 yards
- Swim the butterfly 10 yards