Elmbrook Swim Club Lessons
The mission of the Elmbrook Swim Club is to empower community members to achieve excellence in life through swimming. To that end, the Elmbrook Swim School will open the door to the joys of swimming to even more members of the community. It is a privilege to teach these young children and what a great opportunity to help them have a positive swimming experience from the very beginning. As part of the Elmbrook Swim Club community we hope you will strive for excellence in all you do.
Three class sessions are being offered.
Session 1 - March 10 - April 7 (No class on March 31)
Session 2 - April 14 - May 5
Session 3 - May 12 - June 2
Each session offers 3 different classes - 9:00am, 9:50am, 10:40am. Classes will be held at Brookfield East High School.
Registration begins January 2nd, 2018. In order to register for lessons, you will be prompted to create an online account.
Using a station teaching set up for each session the Elmbrook Swim School is designed for participants to advance as soon as the advancement criteria for each group is met, advancing at their own pace. There are 6 different levels each session ranging from introductory skills to advanced pre-competitive skills.
Below is a brief description of each level:
- Level 1: Jellyfish (Let’s Get Wet – An introduction to the water.)
- Safety at the pool and in the water
- Comfort in the water
- Explore arm and leg movement
- Breathing skills (blowing bubbles)
- Submerge face, open eyes underwater
- Introduction to kicking skills
Advancement criteria – 10 bobs. Use arm and leg motions to swim one body length without assistance.
- Level 2: Tadpoles (Let’s Get Moving – Floatation and buoyancy in the water.)
- Floats and glides
- Transition from horizontal to vertical position
- Flutter kick
- Dolphin kick
- Front arm and leg motions
Advancement criteria – Front kick, glide and return to vertical. Back kick, glide and return to vertical. Use arm and leg motions to swim two body lengths without assistance.
- Level 3: Stingrays (Let’s Learn Freestyle – Understanding the body position, pull, and kick of freestyle.)
- Roll from front to back and back to front.
- Side kicking
- Freestyle arm strokes
- Arm and leg motions on back
Advancement criteria – Freestyle arms with strong kick, 10 yards.
- Level 4: Swordfish (Let’s Learn Backstroke – Understanding the mechanics of backstroke and freestyle breathing.)
- Treading water
- Freestyle breathing
- Sitting and kneeling dives
Advancement criteria – Tread water 30 seconds. Swim freestyle 25 yards. Swim backstroke 25 yards. Proper technique of sitting and kneeling dives.
- Level 5: Dolphins (Let’s Learn More Strokes – Introduction to breaststroke and butterfly.)
- Open Turns
- Treading water
- Standing dives (compact and stride)
Advancement criteria – Swim breaststroke 10 yards. Swim butterfly 10 yards. Tread water for one minute. Proper technique of compact and stride dives.
- Level 6: Gators (Precompetitive – Learning to dive, perform flip turns, and build endurance.)
- Racing start from side
- Flip Turns
- Extended Swimming
- Refinement of all strokes
Advancement criteria - Swim freestyle 50 yards (bilateral breathing). Swim backstroke 50 yards. Swim breaststroke 25 yards. Swim butterfly 20 yards. Proper technique of racing start.
Please contact Anne Leupold with questions at email@example.com.
Cancellation Policy - If you need to withdraw your child’s registration prior to one week before the first class date, a full refund will be issued less a $5.00 cancellation fee. If you need to withdraw your child’s registration within one week of the first class date, no refund will be given.
Elmbrook Swim School
Elmbrook Swim School