Information for Officials
Ruling on Use of Elastic Tape in Competition
YMCA Swim Officials Shirts - vendor for purchasing white officials shirts
CONRAD “CONNIE” CARROLL AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN OFFICIATING CANDIDATE APPLICATION FORM
This award is given in memory of Conrad “Connie” Carroll, who served tirelessly for 18 years as a YMCA certified swimming and diving official at all levels of YMCA competition. The recipient of this award best represents the ideals of a YMCA Swimming Official and the example set by Connie Carroll. Application form is an MSWORD document. Click link above to download the form.
Officials Requirements for YMCA Meets
YMCA sanctioned meets and national championship meets are conducted in accordance with the USA Swimming technical rules. All other YMCA meets must be conducted in accordance with USA Swimming technical rules in order for the meet and the times achieved therein to be valid for any of the following:
- Qualification for entry into a YMCA sanctioned meet or YMCA national championship meet
- National YMCA Top Ten times
- National YMCA records
- USA Swimming approval of the meet and entry of the times into the SWIMS database
Beginning in September 2013, USA Swimming rules require the use of an Administrative Official for all meets. This requirement, therefore, extends to YMCA meets that could be used as qualifying meets or times from which may be used as qualifying times for YMCA sanctioned and/or national championship competition.
The minimum officials requirements for YMCA meets are:
For all YMCA meets, at least two officials must be YMCA Certified including one certified as a Level II Official who acts as the Meet Referee:
- Dual Meets require at least three (3) officials including a Starter, a Referee and an Administrative Official. The Starter and Referee may also serve as Stroke & Turn judges, if necessary.
- All other meets require at least four (4) officials including a Referee, a Starter (who may also act as a Stroke & Turn judge), a Stroke & Turn judge and an Administrative Official.
- Any YMCA Level II Certified Official can function as the Administrative Official, but not in that role and another deck role (e.g. the Deck Referee cannot also serve as the Admin Official)
- USA Swimming Certified Officials may assist with the officiating at such meets, provided that there are at least two YMCA Certified Officials, one of whom is YMCA Level II certified and acts as the Meet Referee.
A schedule of available YMCA Administrative Officials courses can be found on the Learning and Career Development Center (LCDC) section of the YMCA Exchange website (www.yexchange.org).
A USA Swimming certified Administrative Official may perform the duties of a YMCA Administrative Official. (11/12/2014)
YMCA Regional Officials Coordinators
The YMCA National Officials Committee has instituted a Regional Officials Coordinator Program to enhance the flow of information between the Committee and officials in the field. The Coordinators will work closely with the applicable Regional Reps to improve lines of communication and provide guidance, when requested, to local swim leagues and teams. Listing of the YMCA Officials Coordinators
Roles and Responsibilities of the Regional Officials Coordinators
The National Officials Committee has established a program to assign a Regional Officials Coordinator to work closely with the related Regional Representative in promoting and facilitating the YMCA swimming and diving program in the various geographic areas of the country. This document outlines the primary functions of the Officials Coordinators (10/4/2013)
Revised YMCA Swim Officials Attire/Uniform Standards The YMCA National Swimming Officials Committee announces the following revised guidelines for "on deck" uniform attire at all classifications and levels of YMCA swim meets (9/16/2012)