Practice 1 hour, 3x per week
The Yellow group is the first level of our team. This group is for younger swimmers and those just getting started in the sport of competitive swimming. The emphasis of this group is teaching the four competitive strokes and other competitive skills through drills and fun activities. Must be able to swim one length of the pool freestyle and one length backstroke without hesitation. Home meets are required; away meets are recommended.
Practice 1 hour and 15 minutes, 3x per week
For intermediate swimmers who know how to swim all four competitive strokes. Focus is on learning rules of the sport, developing strong techniques and building endurance. Swimmers are expected to attend all home and away meets.
Practice 1 hour and 30 minutes, 4x per week
The swimmers in this group must know all strokes and have competitive swimming experience. Expected to attend both dryland and pool training. Expected to attend all meets and championship meets they qualify for. Must be able to complete 50m freestyle in under 1:00.
Practice 2 hours, 5x per week
For intermediate to advanced swimmers. Must have competitive swimming experience in all four strokes. Must have the ability to do pace work and interval training. Expected to attend both dryland and pool training. Swimmers are expected to attend all meets and championships that they qualify for. Must be able to complete sets of 100m in 1:50.
Practice 2 hours, 5x per week
Swimmers must have competitive experience, be able to swim all four competitive strokes efficiently, and have the ability to do pace work and interval training using a pace clock. Must also be able to commit to a rigorous workout program including dryland and pool training. Swimmers are required to attend all meets and all championship meets they qualify for. Must be able to complete set of 100m in 1:35.
All swimmers are welcome to join the Elgin Pelicans Swim Team, however please the following in mind:
- All swimmers must be able to swim one length of the pool freestyle and one length of the pool backstroke and have a positive team attitude.
- All swim team members must be members of the Taylor Family YMCA. This is a YMCA of the USA competitive sports rule.
- The Elgin Pelicans compete in both YMCA and ISI/USA Swimming meets. There is an additional fee for USA Swimming registration and meet entries.
- To be eligible for the Long Course YMCA Championship, you must swim in three closed YMCA meets.
- Swimmers will be placed in practice groups and lanes depending on their skill level. Coaches have the final decision on where swimmers will be placed based on ability and attitude.
- Swimmers must purchase a team suit to be worn at swim meets only. Female swimmers must wear one-piece suits during practice. Male swimmers participating in Pre-Senior/Senior practice groups are encouraged to wear drag suites. See Links section for team swim suit ordering.