Swim Team at the Duluth YMCA
This competitive program offers children and teens an opportunity to work with trained coaches to improve swimming skills, endurance and promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Ages: Five to 18 years
- Requirements: Swimmers must:
- Have a YMCA membership *membership is not required for spring season
- Be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Swim 25-yard freestyle, demonstrating breathing to the side and good body position
- Swim 25-yard backstroke, demonstrating good body position
- Can demonstrate the fundamentals of a forward dive from the edge of the pool
Swim Team Basics
Our trained coaches work to improve swimmers' skill level, endurance and to promote a healthy lifestyle. Our program embraces the YMCA core values and promotes progression at an individual level.
The YMCA Swim Team offers up to three practice times a week for beginning swimmers and more for advanced groups during the Fall season. Swimmers are encouraged to attend at least two practices a week.
Swim meets are scheduled against other teams in the Minnesota State League, typically at other Y locations in the Northland Area such as Duluth, Superior, Grand Marais, Brainerd, and Grand Rapids.
There are also several volunteer opportunities to help support the YMCA Swim Team.