REVISED 7/20/2018 TO ALIGN WITH USA SWIMMING ACADEMIC CRITERIA
AMS SCHOLASTIC ALL-AMERICAN INFORMATION & APPLICATION
2017 – 2018 ACADEMIC YEAR
The 2018 AMS Scholastic All-American Application will be available on line through the AMS Web Site from July 10, 2018 through September 15, 2018
Each year, Allegheny Mountain Swimming recognizes those swimmers who excel both in the classroom and in the pool. The AMS Scholastic All-America Team is made up of high school student-athletes who have a grade point average of 3.5 or higher and who meet the performance eligibility requirements during the preceding academic year.
- Athlete member of Allegheny Mountain Swimming during the eligibility period (Sept 1, 2017 - April 15, 2018)
- Have completed 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade during the 2017-18 academic year
- Have competed in at least three (3) AMS Meets during the 2017 – 2018 short course season
- GPA Requirements: Minimum 3.5 for the current academic year
- A=4, B=3, C=2. If numerical grades are used, the following scale will be used unless the school’s letter grade conversion is given on the transcript: A=90-100; B=80-89; C=70-79. In calculating the GPA no rounding will be used.
- Honors, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and dual credit college level academic courses will earn one half (.5) extra Grade Point. Grades for academic subjects only are calculated – history/social studies, English, mathematics, sciences, foreign languages, computer sciences, visual and performing arts if indicated as academic. A grade lower than a C in an academic subject will mean automatic rejection of the applicant. Grades for non-academic courses will NOT be calculated – art, band, choir, orchestra, health, driver education, physical education, and any other class marked non-academic on a transcript.
- Applicants must have swum an individual pool time equal to a 2017 Eastern Zone South Sectional qualifying time in any individual event during the SAA qualifying period (August 16, 2017 – August 15, 2018) with qualifying times in SWIMS. Only ONE time is necessary,
- Your complete high school transcript will need to be uploaded for your application to be complete. All grades for the current year (both semesters 2017-2018) must be on the transcript. You must have completed the 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th grade in order to apply.
Note that school transcripts are the only documentation accepted for the Scholastic All America application (PDF or JPG files). Word documents will NOT be accepted. Grade cards and report cards will NOT be accepted. Only grades for the 2017-2018 school year will be used to determine your GPA but a complete transcript is required.
HOW TO APPLY
- Have your transcript for the complete academic year scanned and available to upload prior to submitting the application (report cards not accepted)
- Complete the on-line AMS Scholastic All-American Application
- Upload the transcript. A Link will be provided on the application.
- Application and transcript submission deadline: September 15, 2018. Late Applications and transcripts will not be accepted.
- Those swimmers selected for the 2017 – 2018 AMS Scholastic All-American Team will be recognized at the 2019 AMS Awards Banquet. The Team List will be posted on the AMS Web Site in the fall of 2018.
Click HERE to print a PDF of the above information.
Please direct questions to Matt Tucker (AMS Sr. Vice Chair) or Laura Hartman (AMS Permanent Office).