April 26th-28th, 2019
Chartiers Valley High School Pool
COURSE DATES, TIMES & INFORMATION
|Participants must purchase or download the Lifeguarding Manual from the Red Cross Web Site
Click Here to Download
Click Here to Purchase
|Participants must bring a copy of current valid Lifeguard Certificate and CPR Mask
If you no longer have your mask, you may purchase one from the instructor for $20
TO REGISTER, PLEASE EMAIL MERCI MCCARTHY AT MERCIDAYS@AOL.COM.
The primary purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. This program offers a choice of Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED courses to meet the various training needs of a diverse audience.
- Be at least 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used
- Tread water for 2 minutes, using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or headfirst, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
The prerequisite skills evaluation will occur on the first day of the course. Please bring a swimsuit and towel for the skills evaluation and for every class.
To successfully complete the course, you must attend the entire course, participate in all skill sessions/drills, activities and scenarios, demonstrate competency in all required skills and scenarios, and pass the final written exams with a minimum grade of 80 percent.
The practice sessions will require some strenuous physical activity. You are encouraged to check with your health care professional before participating in the practice sessions. If you have a medical condition or disability that might prevent you from participating in the activities, or have questions about being able to fully participate in the Lifeguarding course, please contact me to discuss this before the course begins.
Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive an American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED, valid for 2 years.