Join us! All swimmers, all abilities: there is a place for you with the Vikings! You do NOT have to be a star swimmer to be on the team. We are a summertime swim team that is part of the Northern Virginia Swim League, the largest summer swim league in the nation. Our goal is to enable our swimmers to improve their swimming skills while working as part of a team, forming strong bonds of friendship, helping each other, and having FUN! Swim team involves the whole family and includes practices, meets, and social events.
Covid - 19 Safety Protocols:
- Swimmers will be screened as they enter practice. They will be asked, “Have you been experiencing any of the following: fever, cough, or shortness of breath? Have you been in close contact with anyone who has been diagnosed with Covid-19 or suspects they may have contracted Covid-19?”
- Swimmers will wear a mask when entering and exiting practice. They should bring a labeled ziplock bag to keep their mask in while they are swimming.
- There will be 6 swimmers per lane. Swimmers will be spaced six feet apart while not in the pool. For Little Vikings, pods of 4 swimmers will be spaced throughout the shallow end.
- If possible, please drop your child off during evening practices. If you have a younger swimmer or need to stay with your swimmer, we will certainly accommodate you. This is really only an issue during the first two weeks of practice while school is still in session (May 31st through June 11th) because we will be sharing the space with pool guests. Once the team begins morning practices after school has let out, there will be plenty of room for family members to stay during practice.
-Swimmers must sign the NVSL Participation Waiver to participate in meets.
- Pools will hold Dual Meets: two teams swimming at one pool. Due to capacity limits, only swimmers and volunteers will be at the meets. We will not have spectators. (This may change as the season progresses.) If you have a young swimmer, you are given priority when volunteering for a meet. There will be junior coaches and marshals at each meet to supervisor the swimmers. At Village West Pool, there will be limited space in the “grassy area” near the cul-de-sac of Elkton Drive if you would like to stay during the meet. You will need to be 6 feet apart from non-family members.
- If you would like more information on volunteering positions, please refer to the “Volunteer” section of the Village West Vikings website: villagewestvikings.com
- Volunteers will be spaced 6 feet apart.
- Swimmers will wear a mask when entering and exiting a meet. They should bring a labeled ziplock bag to keep their mask in while they swim.
- Swimmers should arrive and depart in their suits. Locker rooms will be available only for bathroom use.
- Swimmers should bring a water bottle because pools may not have the drinking fountains open.
Schedule. During the school year, practices are in the afternoon/early evening. Once school lets out, we have both morning and evening practices. (Little Vikings practices are mornings only.) The swim season starts the week after Memorial Day and runs through July. See the Schedule tab for the full schedule of practices and meets.
Programs. We offer three levels of swimming programs:
Regular Vikings are swimmers 4-18 who are comfortable swimming across the pool (25 meters). Practices involve swimming multiple laps. This is our competitive swim team, with a competitive meet and a developmental meet each week. If you can swim across the pool, you can join the team!
Little Vikings are developmental team members, usually ages 4-7. They swim in special half-length and full-length events in certain meets, as well as at a Lollipop Meet just for them and their peers, at nearby pools. They must be comfortable in the water, but have trouble with or cannot complete one lap. As Little Vikings improve during the season, they can begin to compete in regular Vikings events at the meets.
Swim lessons are available for children who are uncomfortable in the water. In addition, team or pool members at any level of swimming can arrange for private lessons with our coaches. See the Swim Lessons tab for details.
If you have concerns or questions about the level at which your child should swim, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cost. Members of both the Vikings and Little Vikings are $130 for the first child, $95 for the second, and $60 for each child thereafter. Swim lesson costs are negotiated with the individual coaches. Please note that to be on the swim team, you must have a family membership at the pool, which is a separate cost. This is an NVSL regulation. For more information about pool membership, go to http://www.villagewestpool.com.
To register, just click on the Register button on the right side of our home page.