LSC Age Group Select Camp
May 25-27, 2018 at Emory University
The LSC Age Group Select Camp is held over Memorial Day weekend every year. The goal of the camp is to bring together some of the best 14 & Under swimmers in the state for a weekend of training and providing growth opportunities for both athletes and staff beyond those available in a typical club setting.
Camp Overview: Swimmers are expected to arrive on Friday morning, no later than early afternoon and leave early afternoon on Sunday. There are 4 in-water training sessions (Friday late afternoon, Saturday morning and afternoon, Sunday morning). Additional out-of-water sessions on goal-setting, nutrition, psychology of success, etc. will be also scheduled to complement the camp. Swimmers are housed together for the duration of the camp (Friday and Saturday night).
Selection: The camp is comprised of 60 swimmers (30 boys and 30 girls). Swimmers will be selected based on their LCM performance from the previous season (i.e. selection for the 2019 camp will be based on performances during the 2018 LCM season). Swimmers must be 13-years-old or younger at the time of performance. The selection criteria is as follows:
- Top 16 (boys and girls) IMX scores for 13-year-olds will be invited to the camp.
- After excluding the swimmers selected based on the criteria above, the swimmers who post the top time for each event (50, 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1500 Free; 100 and 200 Back; 100 and 200 Breast; 100 and 200 Fly; 200 and 400 IM) will be invited to the camp.
- If one swimmer has the top time for more than one event, the swimmer(s) with the highest PowerPoint (PP) score among the next place will be invited. For example: swimmer A has the top time for both 200 and 400 Free, swimmer B has the next fastest time for 200 Free with 850 PP, while swimmer C has next fastest time for 400 Free with 845 PP. Swimmers A and B will be invited for the camp.
- Home coaches will be contacted when their swimmers are selected for the camp. Each coach will have the opportunity to decline to send their swimmers. After the coaches have been notified, each swimmer's family will be notified. If a coach or swimmer turns down the invitation, the next swimmer who would have qualified based on the same criteria/event will be invited. For example: If a swimmer selected based on IMX Scores chooses to turn down the invitation, the next best IMX Score will be invited. If a swimmer selected based on his/her time for the 400 IM turns down the invitation, the swimmer with the next fastest time for the 400 IM will be invited.
- This process will be repeated as many times as needed until all 60 slots of the camp.
- The initial selection and communication with coaches and athletes will take place around November of the year prior to each camp. The final list of attendees will be published in February.
- A swimmer must still be a member of Georgia Swimming at the time the list of attendees is finalized. Swimmers who move outside the LSC or who are no longer members of USA Swimming prior to the final list being published will be replaced based on the criteria above.