The Head to Head Program comes to an end along with the swim season for most of our swimmers. At the beginning of the program, we were asked to complete surveys. We are now being asked again so that Head to Head will be able to provide you and your club with some information on the impact of Head to Head as well as expand the opportunities our programs provide to youth through useful metrics for partners and sponsors.
These surveys will each only take about 2 minutes, and your feedback is extremely important to us! All answers are kept strictly confidential.
FOR EVERY SURVEY COMPLETED BY YOUR CLUB, YOUR CLUB WILL RECEIVE 1 BALLOT TO BE ENTERED INTO A DRAW FOR THE CHANCE TO WIN 1 OF 3 AMAZING PRIZES:
** Once we draw a club name - we are happy to draw an individual name for your club too! Just send us the names you'd like entered.
1 - 1 ON 1 SWIM SESSION WITH 2X OLYMPIAN MARTHA MCCABE
2 - LUNCH WITH 3 OLYMPIANS IN TORONTO
3 - HEAD TO HEAD TSHIRT SIGNED BY 10 + OLYMPIC ATHLETES
Here are the survey links. Please fill these out by July 5th!
Swimmers Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NewmarketSwimmerProgramEnd
Parents Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NewmarketParentEnd
Martha McCabe | 2X Olympian | Founder, Head to Head | (647)224-9590 | www.headtohead.ca
Head to Head Program
Head to Head is revolutionizing the way Olympians interact with Canadians by empowering them to work with youth across the country.
Head to Head will pair an Olympian or National Team Athlete (NTA) with a sports team or club.
*MEMBERS ONLY - PLEASE LOG IN TO YOUR ACCOUNT TO ACCESS HEAD TO HEAD VIDEOS & MATERIALS*
1. In person visits
Initial meeting to establish Olympian and head coach relationship; where team goals, strategy and plan is discussed in depth, followed by ongoing phone calls and communication to ensure consistent messaging
Olympian at youth sessions:
We recommend developing a program agenda that includes a mix of the following:
- Regular session with Olympian supporting coach on field of play
- Olympian hosted clinic
- Olympian speaking session covering a specific topic
- Olympian presentation to parents; navigating the sport system, managing their athletes
- Olympian at a team dinner, banquet or social event – allowing youth to get to know the Olympian outside a sport setting
2. Educational Videos following a curriculum:
- Mentorship – what is it?
- Goal Setting
- Time management
- Caring for your mental health (sport psychology)
- Pre-competition nerves
- Recovery (nutrition/sleep)
- Competition tips
- Dealing with Adversity (Perseverance)
- Post competition routines
3. E-mail access to Olympian
Guidelines provided to encourage youth to take advantage of the opportunity in a constructive way
Mentor will be available for youth needs and will be trained to provide effective feedback
Types of reasons to e-mail:
- discuss upcoming competitions
- ask questions about training
- share a personal result
- request advice on dealing with a challenge at school, or at sport
Strict protocols are in place for all mentors:
All of our Head to Head Olympians are professionally trained in mentorship by an external partner; Performance Coaching Inc. to ensure that they maximize their role as a mentor.
Each Olympian has been carefully selected and is signed on as a Head to Head mentor based on:
- Experience working with youth
- Feedback and references from previous engagements
- Training from previous work (i.e. RBC Olympians undergo professional training in an array of areas)
- Communication skills
- Eagerness to give back to the next generation
Breaking down the in person visits
Through communication with the coach, each visit can be unique to match the club needs:
- Regular session: The Olympian/NTA supports the coaches’ workout by timing, providing technical feedback, and acting as an ‘excitement factor’ for workout that day. They will not interfere with the coaches’ planned session, but rather act as a reinforcement.
- Olympian/NTA run session: The coach may ask the athlete to prepare a workout and run the session (technical skills, or other specifics will be communicated and targeted in the workout)
- Olympian/NTA speaking session: The Olympian/NTA will address a topic of agreement (nutritional, goal setting, time management, facing challenges, etc)
- Team dinner or social outing: The Olympian/NTA can come hang out with the youth and allow for a real connection to be established in a casual environment