Ben grew up swimming in the Quincy, IL area where he swam with YMCA Flyers Swim Team. He swam and dove for the Quincy Senior High Blue Devils. He has been a coach for the last 23 years, and has held the position of head coach for 16 of those years.
More highlights of his career:
- Assistant Coach for mainly 10 & under swimmers in Hannibal, MO
- Head Coach and Aquatics Director- (Mexico Area Family YMCA) turning a strictly summer program into a year-round swim team, and producing many Area Championship qualifiers
- Manager of Macher Aquatic Center and Macher Swim School where he built a program that produced numerous AAA and AAAA swimmers
- Oversaw operations for 2 training locations in the Kansas City area- involved writing workouts for all levels of swim training and supervising all Assistant coaches
- Head and Assistant Coach in the Kansas City area- with his expertise and assistance this program has doubled in size (125 to over 250), and produced many swimmers for sectional and age group championship meets
- Throughout his coaching career Ben has produced many Division 1 and Sectional qualifiers along with Area Championship qualifiers
- 2002 & 2012 Missouri Valley Age Group Coach of the Year (voted by coaching peers)
- ASCA Level 2 coach- with hopes of moving up to level 3 and 4 within the next 5 years
- American Red Cross Lifeguard/American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor
- American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor
- Safety Training for Swim Coaches
Ben’s passion and expertise for swimming, but most importantly his love for children makes him a great asset for the Winter Haven Stingray organization, and we look forward to him taking us to new heights in this 2018 swim year.
Roy Wilshire resides in Lakeland Fl. and is a graduate of Kansas State University. He has been a long time supporter of competitive swimming. Both of his daughters were age group swimmers with successful high school careers. In 2001, he and his wife started a USA Swimming sanctioned year round program in Lakeland, holding the position of head coach and team administrator until 2012. It was one of the first satellite branches of Tampa Bay Aquatics (TBAY). In 2015 he was hired to begin a varsity swim program by the McKeel Academy of Technology in Lakeland as the Head Boys & Girls Swim coach. In January 2018, Roy came on as an Interim Coach for the Winter Haven Stingrays.
Dry land/Age Group Coach
Cyndi resides in Auburndale, FL. She started swimming at the age of 7 and swam all the way through high school where she was able to achieve state level competitions all four years. Cyndi has a diverse background in the sports arena. She also played soccer and softball in which she was able to attain a softball scholarship to the University of Florida. She currently works for the United States Postal Service. She also works as a Personal Trainer to help others reach their fitness goals through the plans she has developed for them. Her love of a healthy lifestyle and sports is what drives her to create the same passion in children through swimming and being physically, mentally and spiritually strong!