At the US Aquatic Sports Convention in September, 2010, USA Swimming launched a new initiative for the protection of Athletes. Initially called “Athlete Protection”, the name was changed in 2012 to reflect the extension of protection policies to all members of USA Swimming, including athletes, coaches, officials, and non-athlete members/volunteers of USA Swimming. It is now referred to as “Safe Sport”. The USA Swimming Code of Conduct, Article 304 of the USA Swimming Rule Book, provides specific and mandatory polices that must be followed at all levels of the organization. These policies are enforceable by the LSC and National Board of Review process. Consequences for violating a policy include, but are not limited to, revocation of membership. The USA Swimming Safe Sport homepage is www.usaswimming.org/protect.
Gulf Swimming has established the position of Safe Sport Coordinator. This person will be responsible for the implementation and coordination of the USA Swimming Safe Sport Programs at the LSC level and will serve as the liaison between the USA Swimming Director of Safe Sport (Susan Woessner) and the LSC. This position is critical to providing an all-important communication link between USA Swimming and the LSC on all Safe Sport matters. The appointed Safe Sport Coordinator can be contacted by emailing [email protected].
USA Swimming’s 2,700 Clubs, as independent businesses, are responsible for abiding by USA Swimming’s Rules and Policies surrounding Safe Sport. We all have a role to play in creating a healthy setting for sport. Safe Sport helps raise awareness about misconduct in sport, promote open dialogue, and provide training and resources. When we work as a team, we can build a game plan to make sports safe for
Resources and Additional Information
The following resources provide additional information about the Safe Sport initiative. For more information, please contact the LSC Safe Sport Chair – [email protected].
- USA Swimming SafeSport Page
- Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policy (MAAPP)
- USA Swimming Reporting Form (Dealing with a Concern)
- USA Swimming Code of Conduct
- USA Swimming Athlete Protection Policies
- USA Swimming Best Practice Guidelines
- USA Swimming Model Policy: Team Travel
- USA Swimming Model Policy: Action Plan to Address Bullying
- USA Swimming Model Policy: Electronic Communication
- Mandatory Athlete Protection Training for Non-Athlete members
- Athlete Training Information
- Parent Training Information