To deal with a Safe Sport concern, contact USA Swimming at (719) 866-4578 or visit this page of their website. Contact the U.S. Center for Safe Sport to make a report. Call (720) 524-5640 or use the online reporting form found here.
Find more information about the US Center for Safe Sport here.
Seals Safe Sport Coordinator - Mike Berlinger
Westbrook Seals Safe Sport Committee Policy
Westbrook Seals Grievance Policy
Seals Swimming Safe Sport Best Practice Guidelines
- Parents are encouraged to appropriately support their children’s swimming experience.
- All swimming practices are open to observation by parents.
- Coaches will not initiate contact with or accept supervisory responsibility for athletes outside club programs and activities.
- When only one athlete and one coach travel to a competition, at the competition the coach and athlete will attempt to establish a “buddy” club to associate with during the competition and when away from the venue.
- Relationships of a peer-to-peer nature with any athletes should be avoided. For example, coaches should avoid sharing their own personal problems with athletes.
- Coaches and other non-athlete adult members should avoid horseplay and roughhousing with athletes.
- When a coach touches an athlete as part of instruction, the coach should do so in direct view of others and inform the athlete of what he/she is doing prior to the initial contact. Touching athletes should be minimized outside the boundaries of what is considered normal instruction. Appropriate interaction would include high fives, fist bumps, side-to-side hugs and handshakes.
- Coaches should avoid having athletes as their favorites. They should also avoid creating a situation that could be perceived as them having favorites. Gift-giving, providing special favors or showing favoritism to individual athletes is strongly discouraged.
- All electronic communication between athletes and coaches shall include a minimum of two adults. For example, an athlete can text two coaches or a coach and a parent/guardian.
- USA Swimming (719) 866-4578 Deal with a Safe Sport Concern
- U.S. Center for Safe Sport to make a report. Use the online reporting form, call (720) 524-5640, or find more information at www.uscenterforsafesport.org
- Michael Berlinger, Westbrook Seals Safe Sport Coordinator, [email protected], 978-696-1116