COVID - 19

For info on how to apply for the Florida Disaster Loan, click here


Coronavirus Information & Resources for Small Businesses --Southern Zone



Coach Certification Requirements – Extensions

As a result of the closures of many facilities due to COVID-19, coaches may find it difficult to renew some certifications.  The following steps are being taken to assist with this issue for coaches whose Lifeguard Training, In-Water Safety Training or CPR/AED certifications expire between March 1 and June 30, 2020:

For agencies that are granting certification extensions

Submit the following to your LSC registrar:


  • Any correspondence from the agency that provides specific information about the extension, including the new expiration date(s). Examples of correspondence include provisional/temporary certificates, email notifications from the agency, etc.
  • A copy of your Lifeguard Training, In-Water Safety Training or CPR/AED certifications showing an expiration date within the dates stated above. 


For certifications from any agency that does not grant an extension - USA Swimming is granting an extension until July 31, 2020, for coaches whose Lifeguard Training, In-Water Safety Training or CPR/AED certifications expire between March 1 and June 30, 2020.


Please note the following:

  • For CPR/AED and In-Water Safety Training certifications that expire during that timeframe, SWIMS and Deck Pass will be updated to reflect the new expiration date of 7/31/2020.
  • Programming changes are necessary and will be done as soon as possible. In the meantime, coaches may receive reminders about expiring certifications until the current expiration dates are rolled forward to 7/31/2020.
  • Any coaches who can renew the certifications listed above should send their updated certificates to their LSC registrar as usual.


It is also important to note that other certifications and membership requirements must be updated on or before their current expiration date for courses that are completed online.  These courses include Athlete Protection Training, background checks, Coaches Advantage Training, and online Safety Training for Swim Coaches.


A link to the policy will be included in the monthly Coach Connection newsletter going out to coaches this week.



USA Swimming




Cancellation of the TYR Pro Swim Series at Indianapolis


Following the closure of the IU Natatorium on the campus of IUPUI, USA Swimming was informed that it can no longer host its TYR Pro Swim Series event that was scheduled May 6-9, 2020.


Given the current health climate, and the ongoing uncertainty regarding the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the organization has officially made the decision to cancel the event.  


Indianapolis marked the final stop of the 2020 TYR Pro Swim Series, following previous stops in Greensboro, Knoxville and Des Moines. The Mission Viejo stop, scheduled for April 16-19, has already been cancelled due to COVID-19.


Should the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 and the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Swimming proceed as scheduled, USA Swimming will make every effort to provide competitive opportunities for our athletes ahead of these major events when it is safe to do so.





Florida Gold Coast Coaches’ Corner #2 

March 21, 2020

Coaches of the Florida Gold Coast:

On Friday, 3/20/2020,  the FGC Board of Directors met via video/phone conference to discuss our immediate future as an LSC in these unprecedented times of pool & program suspensions.  Below are some of the highlighted points that may pertain to your teams’ situation.

  1. State of Spring 14 & U Jr. Olympics & Sr. Championships:  Both March, 2020 Jr. Olympics & Sr. Championships have been permanently CANCELLED.  Being hopefully optimistic that we might be up and running as we approach summer, we all need to re-focus our programs on our next championship competitions.  Obviously, this hopeful optimism about summer is not guaranteed.
  2. FGC vs Florida All Star meet. CANCELLED
  3. FGC April Swimposium: RESCHEDULED to Sunday, Oct. 25, 2020.  All details of this event to be determined and once again this is dependent on the FGC swim community having returned to a state of normalcy. (*We are also moving the annual FGC House of Delegates Meeting to this weekend also)
  4. Status of meets & their hosts that were pre-scheduled for the months of April & May.  These meets may be re-scheduled with approval of either FGC Sanctioning Chairman Allan Golding or the FGC Age Group Chair Liz Kershaw.  Please. keep in mind when scheduling make-ups there are other meets in your area that have been pre-scheduled by the required sanctioning rules. Communicate & display professionalism and what is best for your area’s swimmers.
  5. FGC Covid-19 Relief Grant:  The Board of Directors approved the release of limited emergency funds to help those teams who have been financially impacted by the suspension of their programs.  A committee has been appointed.  The details for applying and the obtaining funds will follow.



The Florida Gold Coast Board of Directors are hoping for the best for your swimmers, programs, families, and acquaintances in these unprecedented times with our eyes on the goal of massive appreciation for those things that we have taken for granted in the past along with our return to a state of normalcy for the sake of our great sport!


Respectfully submitted,

Coach Gordon Andrews



Since first communicating with our members about the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we have received ample feedback, much of it focused on the safety measures being recommended. We sincerely appreciate the comments and responses you are sharing.
As of today, the CDC and White House are urging a nationwide halt to gatherings of more than 10 people for the next eight weeks, citing the risk of the coronavirus. This includes avoiding eating or drinking in bars, restaurants, and food courts, and discretionary travel, shopping trips and social visits. This should also include team training and practices.
In light of the current situation, beyond the previously announced cancellation of the TYR Pro Swim Series at Mission Viejo and the postponement of the combined Open Water National and Junior National Championships,  USA Swimming is mandating the cancellation of all its sanctioned events across the U.S. through April 30, 2020.  This will be continuously reassessed based on health and governmental authorities’ information.
Beyond our clubs and teams, we can all play an important part in helping to curb the spread of COVID-19.
We encourage you to visit our website often for the most-up-to-date news and information: .
Thank you,
USA Swimming