Minor Athlete Abuse Prevention Policies
Osprey Aquatics and USA Swimming have Safe Sport policies in place to help protect the safety of our athletes and all members. Policies are also listed in the OAQ Parent Handbook. All swim team members must sign-off on additional team policies including electronic communication policy, photography policy, etc. during annual team registration. Travel policies and paperwork must be completed for all team travel trips.
The Minor Athlete Abuse Protection Policy covers five areas: (1) One-on-One Interactions, (2) Travel: Local & Team, (3) Social Media & Electronic Communication, (4) Locker Rooms & Changing Areas, (5) Massages & Rubdowns.
· OAQ MAAPP Minor Athlete Abuse Protection Policy
· Sport Handout - What does MAAPP Look Like in the Real World
· USA Swimming Safe Sport Best Practices
Deal with a Concern
Any Safe Sport concerns, can be brought to anyone you feel comfortable reporting to--- the safety of our athletes is our top concern.
Contacts & Resources
· Sexual Misconduct Incident Reporting Form
· ONLINE REPORTING FORM
· CALL (720) 531-0340
· Safe Sport website - http://www.uscenterforsafesport.org/
· USA Swimming (719) 866-4578
· Osprey Handbook & Policies including all Safe Sport recommendations and policies
Where to Start with a Concern
When making the decision to report a concern you have, it can often feel intimidating and overwhelming. Please use these guidelines to help you on the first step “Where do I report?” Please use the provided links which will additionally help you get in touch with the appropriate people.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list. If you are not sure who to contact with a concern please contact Safe Sport Staff at the National Office and we will be sure to talk through your concern, answer your questions and connect you with the correct people.
· For Sexual Misconduct, Sexual Harassment, or Sexually Explicit/Inappropriate Communication through Social Media, please contact the U.S. Center for Safe Sport to make a report. Use the online reporting form, call (720) 524-5640, or find more information at www.safesport.org. You can also contact San Jose Police Department. Some situations may fall under California mandatory reporting laws and need to be reported to San Jose Police Department or Child Protection Services.
· For Criminal Charges, Use, Sale, or Distribution of illegal drugs, Physical Abuse, Inappropriate Touching, Lap Sitting, Coaches sharing hotel rooms with Athletes, Rubdown or Massage performed by coaches, Pictures or video taken in locker rooms or changing areas, use the online reporting form.
· For Fraud, Deception, and Recruiting, please make a report through your Zone Board of Review by referencing our Zone Directors List
· For Peer-to-Peer Bullying, Adult-to-Athlete Bullying, Parent Issues, and violations of Team Rules and Team Code of Conduct, please report to Osprey board members or coaches.
- Safe Sport Coordinator (President) - Shannon Mackin (BOD) email@example.com 408-927-7627
- Head Coach (CEO) – Brian Bolster firstname.lastname@example.org
- Head Age Group Coach – Oliver Mackin email@example.com
You can report to ANY board member or coach. Reach out to someone.
Mandatory Reporting Rule
ARTICLE 306: SEXUAL MISCONDUCT REPORTING REQUIREMENTS
- It is every member’s responsibility to promptly report any incident regarding sexual misconduct by a member as described in Article 304.3.8 to USA Swimming’s Director of Safe Sport. Reporting must occur when an individual has firsthand knowledge of misconduct or where specific and credible information has been received from a victim or knowledgeable third party. Various state laws may also require reporting to law enforcement or to a designated child protection agency.
- No member shall retaliate against any individual who has made a good faith report under 306.1.
- False reporting of sexual misconduct made in bad faith is prohibited.
- Neither civil nor criminal statutes of limitation apply to reports of cases of sexual abuse.”
Osprey asks all families to complete the online Parent Safe Sport Training. This training takes 15 minutes! Parents who complete their training can send a screenshot of their certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org. Instructions to Complete Parent Training
· USA Center for Safe Sport Parent Tool Ki
· USA Center for Safe Sport Kid's Activity Book