2021 SEASON INFORMATION: JUNE 14th - AUG 27th
Information on this page for the season will supersede all information on the website regarding our club policies and guidelines.
Please email [email protected] if you have any questions.
REGISTRATION OPENS: JUNE 5th until full
- SATURDAY JUNE 5, 2021 @ 12:01AM
- new swimmers & returning swimmers
- swimmers enrolled in a 2020/2021 winter club program ei. Mavericks Swim Club
60 spots available for swimmers age 8-18
10 spots for Cross - Training
10 spots for swimmers age 5-7 (need to swim 15m unassisted and comfortable in deep water)
The Okotoks Stingrays club is approved to train this summer under Stage 2 restrictions.
Okotoks Stingrays will be hosting two swim meets this season.
Saturday June 17th & Saturday August 28th.
- Swimmers are placed in groups based on experience, skill and age.
- Assessment week will take place the first week of swim practice. Coaches will observe swimmers to determine their final Group placement.
Tuesday & Thursday for 1 hour each, 1 hour dryland
- Age 5 – 7. Approximate swimmer 3 level in swim lessons
- 1 weekly outdoor or virtual dryland session
GROUP 2 :
- Monday, Tuesday and Thursday for 1 hour each
- 1 weekly outdoor dryland session
- Monday, Tuesday for 1 hour each and Friday for 1.5 hour
- 1 weekly outdoor dryland session
Group 4 & 5:
- Monday and Wednesday for 1 hour each, Thursday AM practice for 1 hour
- 1 weekly outdoor dryland session
* NEW THIS YEAR * Cross –Training Group:
- Tues & Friday AM practice
- 1 weekly fitness running and/or biking challenge.
- New this year: a great opportunity for athletes to cross train gaining the benefits of swimming; Increase their cardio, lung capacity and lengthen muscles.
START DATE: June 14th (See attached schedule June 14 - July 4th. Schedule for July and August has not been released yet)
INCLUDED IN REGISTRATION PACKAGE:
See the fee schedule below
To proceed with registering your swimmer in Session 2 a 'first payment' of
$270/swimmer registration fee is due by Friday June 11th by midnight.
If NO payment has been received by June 11th the swimmer will lose their spot in
Session 2. No exceptions.
If your swimmer was in Session 1 they maybe assigned to a different Group for Session 2.
Swimmers will receive their final Group placement after the first week of swim practices are complete. Once the final placement of all swimmers is complete the AMOUNT OWING of the REGISTRATION FEE is due.
Swimmers are guaranteed placement in the following groups: Group 1/Pups age specific for 5-7 year olds and in Cross-Training Group
REGISTRATION FEE SCHEDULE:
HOW TO PAY FOR REGISTRATION FEES:
- WAIT to receive confirmation from the OSSSC club regarding your swimmers’ registration. Swimmers age 5-7 need to be verified of skill level
- You will be asked to pay a $270 'First Payment' for each registered swimmer. This secures your swimmers' placement with the OSSSC. The payment must be received within 48 hours of email confirmation
- TWO PAYMENT OPTIONS:
- Pay e-transfer of $270/swimmer to [email protected]
- in message area: state swimmer’s full name
- Pay with credit card via email invoice. Request to pay be credit card. An email invoice be be emailed to you with an additional 3% transaction fee included
- If the GOA shuts down indoor & outdoor sports preventing the OSSSC for a viable training options. A prorated refund of the paid registration fees will be issued.
William Tyrrell will be coming back to us this year to Head Coach. Will, is also an alumnus to the Okotoks Stingrays Swim Club. With a background in swimming, water polo, lifeguard and instructor he is no stranger to coaching. We are so happy that he will be coaching with our club again this year.
We are thrilled to welcome Cassidy Behm to our coaching staff. Cassidy grew up swimming with the Canmore Riptides. She now coaches the Junior Lifeguard Club in Okotoks and lifeguards at the Okotoks Rec Center.
We have a goal of raising $7000 with fundraising and sourcing sponsorships this season to help offset the operating cost in order to keep swim fees feasible for everyone. There will be no deposits for the fundraising commitment. Details will be provided on soon.
NO VOLUNTEER COMMITMENTS.
We may ask for volunteers throughout the season as it progresses. We will not be asking for a volunteer security deposit or tracking points.
- Swimmers will receive a team silicon swim cap with registration.
- Due to a possible training only season, we will not require swimmers to purchase a team swimsuit.
- Training swimsuits and accessories can be purchased at the following locations:
- In Okotoks: Muge, Source for Sports, SportChek
- In Calgary: Team Aquatics
- We are looking to have some Team Apparel options available to purchase through a local supplier, if there is enough interest.
DISCIPLINE POLICY: (located in the parent handbook)
We hope you understand the opportunity we have been granted for the swimmers to train during this pandemic. We ask that parents/guardians and swimmers will work hard to follow the strict rules in place to create a safe environment.
In order to ensure the safety of our swimmers, coaches and the use of the Okotoks Rec Center for our program we will instate the DISCIPLINE policy. Swimmers or parents not following the OSSSC Swimmer Checklist & Protocols, Alberta Checklist for Parents/Guardians or the Okotoks Recreation Center Pool protocols, will receive:
STEP 1: The Coach / Board Member who witnessed the infraction will give a verbal warning to the child. Parents & Board of Directors will be notified
STEP 2: If the behaviour continues, the child will be asked to sit out for the remainder of the practice. The parents will be notified of the behaviour.
STEP 3: If the swimmer is still behaving inappropriately, he/she will be temporarily suspended from practices until a meeting can be held between the swimmer, coach, parent and Board Member to find a solution.
STEP 4: If no solution can be found or the behaviour persists, the swimmer will be asked to leave the club. There will be no refund of registration fees and other deposits if applicable.
EQUIPMENT LIST: label all equipment
☐ Swimsuit on for practice
☐ 2 x Towel (1 for dryland on deck, 1 to use to dry off)
☐ 2 x goggles
☐ 2 x caps
☐ face mask (to be worn entering and exiting the pool)
☐ training equipment (personal or OSSSC)
- Flutterboards: OSSSC will assign flutterboards to swimmers in Group 2 – 5 at the beginning of the program – if needed. The OSSSC equipment needs to be returned at the end of the season or a fee of $20 will be owed to the club.
- Fins/flippers: Due to COVID we encourage you to purchase a set of flippers for your swimmer. We recommend shopping at Team Aquatics for the Short Fins by Arena or Speedo brand.
- Fins can be provided by the pool for practice if you do not have a pair
☐ labelled water bottle
☐ a swim positive attitude, ready to make waves
OSSSC WILL OPERATE ACCORDING TO AHS, SWIM CANADA AND THE OKOTOKS RECREATION CENTER PROTOCOLS AND GUIDELINES.
If the club is full to capacity you may add your swimmer(s) to the waitlist.
Email: [email protected]
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER