As one of a small number of teams that regularly host meets, we rely on volunteers to serve in a number of capacities, to provide quality competitive experiences for our athletes and those from visiting teams. One of the most beneficial and enjoyable ways to help is by becoming a certified official.
Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Become a USA Swim Official
10. Go to "no spectators" meets.
9. White shirt, blue pants, white kicks is your favorite look.
8. No longer need to beg your friends to "save me a seat"
7. Your butt will no longer be sore from sitting on those hard bleachers for 14 hour a weekend.
6. Front row seats to see your child swim
5. Become engaged in the meet, making it more enjoyable
4. Free snacks and lunch
3. Free Swag - stickers, keychains, lanyards & shirts,
2. Nerd out on rules & protocols with all the other awesome officials
1. YOU WANT TO MAKE SWIMMING A BETTER EXPERIENCE FOR ALL OF OUR CHILDREN.
How to become a Certified Official:
- Attend a Clinic - where you will begin learning the basic rules of competitive swimming
- Apprenticeship - observe swimmers in person with the mentorship of an experienced official over 6 meet sessions
- Testing - an online multiple choice exam to evaluate your understanding of the rules
- Meeting Non-Athlete Requirements - membership in USA Swimming, Athlete Protection Training, a Background Check, and Concussion Training are all required to help ensure safety
If you are interested in becoming an official, please use the following form to receive information when officials clinics become available:
Hauppauge Swim Club Officials Interest Form