All Midlakes Officials are required to attend at least one training prior to each season.
Updates from Midlakes Officials Administrator will be sent out periodically throughout the season. Feel free to contact the Officials Administrator via e-mail if you have any questions.
If you need verification that your Club's Officials have completed training, please contact the Officials Administrator directly.
2022 Training Schedule
Midlakes Officials Shirts
Information for 2020 is not yet available.
Officials Shirt order
2022 Officials requirements:
Starters and Referees must be separate positions and Midlakes-certified. They do NOT have to be USA-certified.
If you can staff a Chief Judge to supervise and support S&T Officials, great, but it is not required.
Relay Exchange judges do NOT need to attend Midlakes training, but we certainly encourage it to develop skills. Relay judges MUST be trained on their responsibilities by the Referee at each meet.
M. Officials for Meets (Midlakes Operating Plan)
- Dual Meet Officials should include (minimum):
- 1 Meet Referee each half, who at minimum has attended the Midlakes Starter/Referee training for the current year
- 1 Starter each half, who has attended the Midlakes Starter training for the current year, and who may NOT act as referee while simultaneously acting as Starter
- 1 Chief Judge Official each half, who provides guidance to S&T Judges, checks DQ slips, and assists the Referee. This is OPTIONAL, but should be filled if possible
- 2 Stroke and Turn Officials (one from each team) each half
- If USA swimming officials are present, the preferred hierarchy to fill roles is:
- Meet Referee
- Chief Judge
- Eg - if one USA-certified official is present, s/he will serve as Referee. If 2 USA officials are present, the Referee and CJ positions should be filled, etc.
Additional required volunteers:
2 Relay Exchange judges for 200-relays; 4 judges for 100-relay
Rule update (posted in 2016)
USA swimming changed the rule on Kinesio Tape a short time ago but after all Midlakes training was held. Since the board did not vote on the change prior to the season starting, the Midlakes rule stays the same for 2016 and beyond. Tape is allowed with an accompanied doctors note.
2017 Communication to Officials: