This scholarship honors the memory of Kate Brown, a member of the Dublin Dolphins Swim Team. Kate was a 7-year-old girl who was a member of the first Dublin Dolphins swim team in 1989. Kate was to be awarded the Most Valuable Swimmer award. However, prior to actually receiving her award, Kate tragically lost her life that year in a swimming related accident at the conclusion of the Dolphins swim team season.
To memorialize the leadership, teamwork, character and dedication she applied to the sport of swimming and her academics, a one-year, $1,000 Scholarship is awarded annually by The Dublin Dolphins Booster Club, Inc., to a Dublin Dolphin student athlete graduating High School who best personifies the same attributes associated with Kate Brown and meets the following criteria:
- Excellence in character and leadership, excellent motivation, dedication to the sport of swimming and team spirit that embodied the spirit of Kate Brown.
- Must have been a member of the Dublin Dolphins Swim Team for at least two out of the last three seasons prior to receiving the award and be a student graduating from High School.
- Must plan to continue to be actively involved with the Dublin Dolphins program following graduation from High School in some capacity such as a team member, coaching or volunteering at meets.
- Must have at least a 2.5 grade point average, (based on a 4.0).
- This is a one-year scholarship given in one payment.
The 2019 Kate Brown Scholarship Recipient will be announced and awarded at the Dublin Dolphins End-of-Season Banquet.