Dear Visiting Team:
The Ben Lomond Flying Ducks would like to welcome you to our meet, which will be held at our pool located in the Splashdown Water Park (7500 Ben Lomond Park Drive, Manassas, VA 20109).
- From Sudley Manor Drive, turn LEFT on to Ben Lomond Park Drive
- Splashdown Water Park will be on the right hand side of Ben Lomond Park.
- Drive through Ben Lomond Park until you reach the main parking lot.
- The meet entrance is at the back of the parking lot. Please do not try to enter through the main gate, as it will not be open.
|Visiting Team Warmup
There will be approximately 110 BLST swimmers in this meet. Please do your best to get commitments from families and swimmers to attend as volunteers and athletes for an efficient meet. You may use coaches times or times from a previous season as entry times for this meet.
- All entries and team record files are due to Joseph Scoresby by Thursday at 8 pm.
- Submissions by email to BOTH [email protected] and [email protected] using Meet Manager or TeamUnify software files are required. Joseph can be reached via cell at 571-435-3040 for questions.
- Relays are authorized up to three relay teams per team per event. It is recommended that the ‘A’ Relay Teams are assigned to lanes 3 and 4. Lane assignments are as follows:
- Visiting Team: Lanes 1, 3, and 5
- Ben Lomond: Lanes 2, 4 and 6
Volunteers and Equipment
- Timers and Recorders
- Head Timer: One per team - Check in with Gerry Peters.
- Lane Timers: We need one timer from the Visiting Team for each of lanes 1, 3, and 5. We need two timers from the Visiting Team for each of lanes 2, 4, and 6.
- Recorders: We need one recorder from the Visiting Team for each of lanes 1, 3, and 5.
- The Timer and Recorder Meeting will be held at 6:45am near the pool deck. First shift timers should come with watches, prepared to move directly to the starting end of the pool for the start of the meet at 7:00am.
- Please bring stopwatches for your timer’s use during the meet.
- Officials and Equipment
- The Official Coordinators for this meet are Tony Knick ([email protected]) and Joseph Scoresby ([email protected]).
- The Visiting Team is asked to provide three to five Stroke and Turn Officials, one Referee and one Starter for wet deck operations. Please bring your starting system as a back-up. Specific assignments will be made at the Officials Meeting at 6:30 am near the pool deck. Training of new officials is authorized so please have them attend the officials meeting for assignment.
- Meet participants are reminded that the deck officials are responsible for providing the conditions for a fair and equitable meet. The team head coaches should bring any questions concerning results, scores, disqualifications, times, records, awards or lane/heat assignments to the Head Referee. Matters will be resolved as quickly as possible with the officials concerned.
- BLST will plan to use fly-over starts at this meet. The use of fly-over starts will be addressed at the Officials Meeting. If there are any concerns about the use of this protocol, please raise them at the Officials Meeting or in advance of the meet.
- The backstroke flags at each end of the pool are located at the 5 meter standard.
- Administrative Officials (Scoring, Computers, Runners, Clerk of Course, Awards)
- The Operations Coordinators for this meet is Gerry Peters ([email protected]). The Operations Coordinators will be available throughout the meet if you have questions or concerns. Administrative Officials must be 18 years old to serve in these positions.
- Runners: Each team will provide two runners per shift throughout the meet. Runners should check in with the Clerk of Course at the upper pavilion at 6:50 am for instructions and when changing shifts.
- Clerk of Course: We run two Clerks of Course. Eight and Unders (and 9-10 25M Butterfly) are between the shallow pool and the splashdown pool for the tall waterslides. The main Clerk of Course is under the pavilion at the top of the hill. Head Clerk of Course for our 8 and Unders is Angela Graham. Head Clerk of Course for all other groups is Candice Purnell. Volunteers should choose with which Clerk of Course they wish to work and check in at the appropriate one by 6:50 am. The Visiting Team is asked to provide at least two volunteers (one for each Clerk of Course) throughout the meet to assist with organizing heats, identifying swimmers and moving heats to the starting blocks. Please notify Clerk of Course of any ‘no show’ swimmers or scratches at your earliest opportunity.
- Scoring Volunteers: Scoring is located in the pavilion at the top of the hill. Our Head Scorer is Kim Huntington . Each team will provide two volunteers to assist with scoring throughout the meet. These volunteers will indicate initial times achieved and verify computer entries. A minimum of one person per team will be available at all times until meet results are finalized. A scoring meeting will take place at 7:05am in the scoring area for these volunteers.
- Computer Operations: The Computer Operator for this meet is Joseph Scoresby ([email protected]). Computers and printers will be located in the scoring area and must be set up by 6:30am. Team relay cards will be available at this time and will be handed out to the coaches. Each team should provide one person to assist with data entry and printing throughout the meet. Teams should bring their computers and printers as backups for the meet. Computer personnel should meet at the computer center under the pavilion at the top of the hill just after the singing of the national anthem.
- Ribbons: Each team will be responsible for providing two ribbon volunteers starting at 7:45 am in the scoring area. Please bring containers to sort ribbons and entry cards for your team.
Visiting Team Personnel & Equipment Summary
1 Head Timer
3-5 Stroke & Turn Officials
2 Clerk of Course
1 Computer Support
2 Ribbons Support
Stopwatches for Visiting Timers
Starting System (for backup)
Computer (for backup)
Printer (for backup)
Other Meet Support
- The Splashdown pool contains several pool areas and slides, which are closed during the meet. Our meet will take place in the 6-lane event pool. Spectators are asked to stay behind the roped-off pool deck unless filling a volunteer position on the deck. This area is off-limits to all tents and chairs.
- We must be out of the water by 11:30am and out of the park by 12:00pm.
- We have two volunteer shifts. The first shift runs from 7:00am to 9:30am. The second shift runs from 9:30am until the end of the meet, usually 11:00am.
- Concessions will be available from the beginning of the meet, providing a selection of foods and drinks for sale.
- Meet sheets will not be sold at concessions; however, they can be printed from a link on our home page (www.benlomondswimteam.com) after 12:00pm Friday (before the meet). We will provide meet sheets for Officials and Coaches only.
- We will have an announcer to inform participants and volunteers of reporting times for swimmers and volunteers as well as general announcements and results. If you would like to submit special event announcements or birthday information for announcement during the meet, please give that information to the meet announcer at the meet.
- We will strictly enforce the rule barring hair paint and sharpie use except for event numbers on their swimmer’s hands. Any child not complying with this rule and unable to wash off the paint and/or markers adequately will not be allowed to compete in the meet.
- Lifeguards are provided for water and pool deck safety. The lifeguards will also provide first aid at the guard station located near the restrooms.
- Your team is invited to set up tents and shelters on the flat, grassy space that runs along the length of the pool. No tent stakes are permitted. A limited number of chairs are available. Your team may put up banners and posters on the fences surrounding the pool in their areas. Please remove all banners and posters upon conclusion of the meet along with all trash.
- A tent will be set up for the Visiting Team Coaches on deck.
- A diagram of the pool layout is at the top of this page.
- The National Anthem will be sung at 6:58 am.
If you need additional information please contact our President, Gerry Peters ([email protected]).
Joseph Scoresby, BLST League Representative