Update on Champs

Mary Ellen Tynan
To all MESI Members,
As most of you have heard, The University of Maine - Orono has closed the pool until April 6th.  In addition, Maine has its first presumptive positive case, an Androscoggin County woman in her 50's who has been quarantined in her home.
The Governor has strongly recommended that all non-essential, large, indoor gatherings of more than 250 people be cancelled or postponed for the next 30 days. She specifically sited sporting events as examples of these non-essential events. They will be reassessing this recommendation in 30 days (April 11th).
A task force just met to discuss the championship meet and viable options.  After much discussion, it was decided that first and foremost Maine Swimming must put the health and safety of its swimmers first. As such, the Winter Championship meet has been cancelled.
The task force had decided that Maine Swimming will not sanction any meets between Monday, March 16 - Saturday, April 11th. At that time, protocol will be re-evaluated based on the Governor's recommendation.  We were hoping to allow teams to host in-house Time Trial Meets this weekend however USA Swimming has just cancelled, and will not allow sanction of, any meets between today and April 11th.
Details on the Athlete Representative and Coaches' Representative elections will follow shortly.
The banquet and the 14 & under clinic with Elizabeth Beisel are currently planned to go ahead, but will be monitored closely as the situation progresses.
Thank you all for your understanding. Please remember this decision is for the health and safety for all.