Maryland Swimming

Maryland Swimming

 

Our Vision:  To make swimming the sport of choice for Maryland.

Our Mission:  Maryland Swimming provides opportunities for athletes to participate in competitive swimming, reach their full potential, and develop skills for life-long success.

Our DE&I Mission: We need every swimmer, every coach, every volunteer, and every community member to commit to improving our diversity, equity, and inclusion.

Our Core Values:  Proactive Achievement, Respect, and Ownership.

USA Swimming Governance Committee Extended the Notice and Comment Period

Sandy Avery
Letter from the Governance Committee
 
To All USA Swimming Members:
 
As we approach the Special Meeting of the House of Delegates on June 30, we urge you to take the time to review the proposed legislation and the responses to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) that have been added and updated.
 
Since the proposals were initially posted on April 16, our Board of Directors, the Governance Committee and the three Working Groups (overseeing the recommended legislation changes to the Board of Directors, Committees and House of Delegates) have continued our commitment to transparency in serving the interests of our membership and our obligations to adhere to the new federal laws and comply with USOPC mandates.
 
We extended the Notice and Comment period from its initial 20-day interval to 33 days. We listened to the concerns and suggestions that were raised and made refinements to the legislative proposals, right up until the Rules and Regulations Committee meeting on May 21-22.
 
We thank the Rules & Regulations Committee for their diligence in reviewing the proposed legislation and making revisions to ensure compliance with the existing rules and bylaws and consistency in the language across the proposals. We are pleased that the Rules and Regulations Committee has recommended all three sets of proposals for approval by the House of Delegates.
 
The most common questions that we have received have pertained to the timing of the Special Meeting, the details about 10 Year Athlete representation, and the risks and implications of decertification of USA Swimming as the sport’s National Governing Body. In response, we have recently added and highlighted FAQs about these topics on the website: https://www.usaswimming.org/about-usas/governance/special-hod-meeting/required-usa-swimming-rule-changes.
 
The greatest concern we’ve heard is that the 33.3% 10-Year Athlete mandate causes a reduction to the voting power of other constituencies in the House of Delegates, particularly that of coaches and grassroots athletes. The proposed legislation is based on a House of Delegates with 390 members, of which we are required to have 130 10 Year/10 Year+ Athletes (including a minimum of 78 10 Year and up to 52 10 Year+ Athletes).
 
With the hope that we had been underestimating the interest in 10-Year Athlete participation, numerous coach leaders with whom we’ve had dialogue requested that we survey the 223 10 Year Athletes in our database to gauge their interest in serving as members of the House of Delegates. We acted on this request, reaching out in late-May to the approximately 170 for whom we have a valid email address. We subsequently identified contact information for and reached out to approximately 50 additional 10 Year Athletes.
 
Of the replies received thus far, only 59 replied that they would potentially be interested in serving, which is just two-thirds of the minimum we must achieve. A handful said they are not interested, and most chose not to respond.
 
We remain optimistic that with a concerted effort we can achieve the 33.3% compliance requirement with 130 Athletes. Given the challenges of apportioning the other 66.7% of the House of Delegates, we remind you that if we achieve compliance, the House will maintain the ability to modify its composition with future legislation. On the other hand, the USOPC has already demonstrated its willingness to request an NGB disband its legislative body if the NGB fails to comply with federal law or USOPC Bylaw requirements.
 
Therefore, your Board of Directors urges the House of Delegates to pass this legislation on June 30, which would put the gears in motion that ensure that we are able to come into compliance with the USOPC Bylaws and federal law by December 31.
 
Sincerely,
Chris Brearton, Chair, Governance Committee and Chair-Elect, USA Swimming Board of Directors
Bob Vincent, Chair, USA Swimming Board of Directors