Minutes of House of Delegates Meeting

Held on April 14, 2012 at the Capitol Federal Natatorium in Topeka, Kansas

Members in Attendance, AAAA, Jolisa Buchner; BSSC, Debby King; BWST, Ben Westberg; COOL, Clarke Stokes; CSC, Phil Garverick; EAC, Phil Metz; EDSC, George Myers; FTLL, Helen Lochow; HASC, Wendy Vernon, HYSC, Lyn Morris; JCAY, Chuck Gohring; KCAC, Ed Wojtowicz; KCB, Brad Bond, Randy Hinde, Gardner Howland, Marjorie Sherard; LA, Justin Closen, Zach Devine; MCV, Gerri Hart; MSA, Landra Bunge; NLU, Brian Timpe; PEST, Jaysri S Butler; SAC, Brian Burmaster; TSA, David Carpenter, Brooke Rinehart, Zachary Wagers; TST, Tom Kleiboeker; UN, Amy Hoppenrath, Dulcy Sellon; WAS, Steve Buehne; WKSC, James Kuhlman; WNYN, Candace Pearson; WSC, Todd Kramer.

David Carpenter called the meeting to order at 12:45 pm. Members signed a sign-in sheet which served as the meeting’s roll-call. The following consent agenda items were presented:

Consent Agenda

Item

Description

Board of Directors
Recommendation

1

Approval of the minutes from the House of Delegates Meeting of October 1, 2011, Lawrence, Kansas, as posted on the Missouri Valley Swimming website.

Approve

2

Elect David Carpenter as General Chair, Randy Hinde as Administrative Vice Chair and Phil Garverick as Senior Vice Chair for a two-year term beginning October 2012 through September 2014 as presented by the Nominating Committee.

Approve

3

Elect James Kuhlman, Amanda Cook and Tony Portela as At Large Delegates to the House of Delegates and Board of Directors for a one-year term beginning October 2012 through September 2013, as presented by the Nominating Committee.

Approve

4

Elect George Schluter, Tom Kleiboeker, Clinton Bailey, Chris Novak (Athlete), Brian Fries and Hannah Molden (Athlete) to the Missouri Valley Swimming Board of Review for a two-year term beginning October 2012 through September 2014 as presented by the Nominating Committee.

Approve

5

Accept and Approve the Treasurer’s written report.

Approve

6

Adoption of the 2012-2013 Master Meet Schedule as presented by the Meet Scheduling Committee and approved by the Board of Directors.

Approve

7

Approve an increase in the non-athlete registration fees from $53.00 to $55.00 per year, effective for the 2013 & 2014 registration years.

Approve

8

Approve the planning and scheduling of a Missouri Valley Swimming Swimposium for the weekend of September 29 & 30, 2012, and direct the General Chair to appoint a Task Force for that purpose.

Approve

David read each consent agenda item and Tom Kleiboeker asked that #6 be pulled for discussion. Clarke Stokes made the motion to approve items 1 through 5, and 7 & 8. Patrick Norman seconded the motion and all voted aye.

Reports of Officers, Chairs and Coordinators

General Chair, David Carpenter reported that all of the LEAP materials for level 1 had been submitted for MVS. LEAP 2 needs to be completed by the end of the year. He thanked Brad Bond and Zach Devine for their work on LEAP Level 1 and asked for additional help since Zach will be leaving MVS.

Administrative Vice Chair, Brad Bond, thanked Zach for all his work on compiling and submitting the LEAP Level 1 material. He stated that to complete Level 1 the MVS By-Laws will be put into finished order and MVS will insure that MVS boards and committees will have 20% athlete representation.

Senior Vice Chair, Phil Garverick, and Age Group Vice Chair, Patrick Norman, stated that this year reimbursement will be given to swimmers with Junior cuts who attend the American Long Course Championship meet in Austin because the national level meets this summer have been scheduled late in August making it difficult for swimmers to attend. The summer Division 1 meet will be in Lawrence and will have a prelim-finals format. Last year’s summer time standards will be used for the meet. There will be no Grand Prix meet in Missouri next year and MVS might need to offer a long course meet after Christmas. The spring Division 1 format will be presented at the fall MVS meeting.

Registration Chair, Dulcy Sellon, distributed sheets showing the 2011 and 2012 registration numbers. MVS’s full year registrations are currently slightly less than last year’s but will probably be close to the same when the registration year is complete.

Treasurer, Jolisa Buchner, distributed the treasurer’s report at the meeting and this report was approved in the consent agenda.

Scheduling Chair and Coaches Representative, Tom Kleiboeker, reported that in the meet schedule the Level II meet assigned to WSC would be hosted by WAS and the Division II meet assigned to WAS would be hosted by WSC. Division 1 would be held the week before Sectionals. The host for the Level 1 Meet still needs to be determined. The meet schedule will be posted on the MVS website. The links for the background screening and Athlete Protection Training are posted on the MVS website and Tom encouraged coaches to make sure their team’s coaches and officials had met all their requirements. The application for Coach of the Year award is now up on the website. In the past the winner of the Head Age Group Coach of the Year had been offered the position of Head Zone Coach. The coaches’ committee made up of the Senior Chair, Age Group Chair and Coaches Representative will work to insure that the Zone and All Star coaching staff is established for those meets. Tom suggested that at our fall Swimposium MVS identify a person to serve as meet procedures chair and provide training for that position. He also stated that the Report of Occurrence form now has a link on the MVS website and should be used by coaches and officials to report to the USA Swimming insurance carrier when accidents occur. Todd Kramer has been elected as Coaches Representative and Tom will serve as assistant coaches’ representative. Marjorie Sherard will be taking over as Scheduling Chair.

Officials Chair, Amy Hoppenrath substituting for Elizabeth Davis, reported that two athletes will be added to the officials’ committee. They will participate in conference calls every six weeks and will provide the athlete’s voice to the officials’ work. She also reported that MVS is down 68 officials from last year. She asked coaches to encourage the parents they know who are interested in contributing to swimming programs to train and participate as officials.

Safety Chair, Ed Wojtowicz, reported that he had provided safety classes for eight coaches. There is a link on the website now for coaches to take refresher safety classes. These classes will not serve for recertification but are useful to provide information between recertifications.

New Business

Todd Kramer made the motion to accept the meet schedule with the changes presented by Tom Kleiboeker. Phil Garverick seconded the motion and all voted aye.

David appointed a committee to work with webmaster Richard Winn to determine the criteria for placing information on the website. Todd Kramer, Zach Wagers, David Carpenter and Dulcy Sellon will serve on this committee.

In order to complete the LEAP 2 requirements and to promote the work and communication of MVS’s committees and volunteers, the House of Delegates decided that a Swimposium would be undertaken during the weekend of the MVS fall meeting. Ed Wojtowicz volunteered to undertake the scheduling for the Swimposium.

Clarke Stokes made the motion to adjourn the meeting; Jolisa Buchner seconded the motion and all voted aye.

The meeting adjourned at 2:00 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Dulcy Sellon, Secretary
Missouri Valley Swimming, Inc.