COAST GUARD BLUE DOLPHINS PRACTICE GROUP TIERS

CGBD Group Description and Move Up Process 


DEVELOPMENTAL TIER

FLIPPER

4-6 years old

Practices 2 times a week for 30 mins

Must be able to swim 25 yards without struggle and be able to repeat several times

Must be able to function in a group setting and follow directions

Equipment needed

oKickboard and long fins

BLUE

6-9 years old

Practices2times a week for 45 mins

Must be able to swim a coordinated front crawl demonstrating rhythmic breathing for 25 yards

Must be able to swim a coordinated back stroke for 25 yards Demonstrate a willingness to learn breaststroke and butterfly

Equipment needed

oKickboard and long fins

BLUE PLUS

6-9 years oldPractices 3times a week for 45 mins

Must be able to swim a coordinated front crawl demonstrating rhythmic breathing for 25 yards

Must be able to swim a coordinated back stroke for 25 yards

Must be able to demonstrate legal kicks for breaststroke and butterfly

Equipment needed

oKickboard and long fins

GOLD 

9-12 years old

Practices 2 times aweek for 60 mins

Must be able to swim coordinated front crawl with rhythmic breathing

Must be able to swim a coordinated backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly for 25 yards

Equipment needed

oKickboard and long fins

GOLD PLUS

9-12 years old Practices 3 times a week for 60 mins

Must be able to swim all 4 strokes legally

Must have an understanding of turns for all 4 strokes

Must be able to do aerobic work for 20 minutes during practices

Equipment needed

oKickboard and long fins

JUNIOR

6-8 years old

Practices 4 times a week 75 minutes in water and 15 mins of drylands

Must be able to swim proficient freestyle and backstroke

Must be able to swim breaststroke and butterfly for 25 yards

Must be able to show proper technique during workouts

Equipment needed

oKickboard, long fins,and pull buoy

AGE GROUP 

9-11 years old Practices 5 times a week 90 mins in water and 4 days week additionally 15 minutes of drylands

Must be able to swim and competitively legal and perform free, back , breast and fly

Must be able to use a pace clock and understand intervals

Dedicated to practice commitment

Coach recommendation required

Equipment needed

oKickboard, long fins, pull buoy , paddles and snorkel

PREP

10-13 years old

Practices 5 times a week 105 minutes and 4 days additionally 15 minutes of drylands

Must be proficient all 4 strokes

Must be comfortable swimming 200 free and backand 100 breast and fly

Mustbe able to use pace clock and understand intervals

Dedicated to practice commitmentCoach recommendation required

Equipment needed

oKickboard, long fins ,pull buoy , paddles and snorkel

 


SENIOR TIER

 

HIGH SCHOOL PREP

  • The high school prep practice group is primarily for high school-aged swimmers who enjoy the benefits of the sport and want to balance the demands of swimming with other activities
  • It will also provide an excellent opportunity to prepare for high school swimming and later in the year, summer league swimming
  • Focus on stroke technique and building endurance prior to the high school season
  • During the high school season, focus will be on continued building of endurance and working race based training
  • After the high school season, focus will be on technique as well as maintaining aerobic conditioning leading into the summer season
  • Swimmers in this group are ages 13-18
  • This practice group has can expect to swim 3,200 to 5,000 meters/yards per day
  • The swimmers will be members of the CGBD Team and will be encouraged to participate in meets within the local area to help track progress


SENIOR

  • The senior practice group is designed for those swimmers making the next step in completing the transition to senior level swimming.
  • These swimmers have shown the ability to perform consistently within practices, possess a positive attitude, have adapted their strokes to a more efficient level while training, and show the desire to achieve at the highest possible level.
  • This practice group also consists of swimmers who posses the above mentioned qualities but who may be involved with swimming as one of many things they enjoy doing while considering swimming as a primary activity, and whose commitment level is based on the minimum standards set for this group.
  • Swimmers in this group are primarily 13-14 years old and devote 80% of their training sessions to conditioning and are still fully utilizing the remaining 20% of their practice toward maintenance of superior stroke techniques and turns.
  • Swimmers are expected to be more focused on execution of the entire workout consistently on a daily basis and take a greater sense responsibility for their swimming success.
  • This practice group has three training levels that can expect to swim 4,200 to 7,000 meters/yards per day.
  • Dryland training is an integral part of the training regiment to increase core body stroke, better balance, and increase individual athletic ability. Swimmers are expected to practice 10 times in a two week period.
  • Consistent attendance of 12 or more practices in two weeks, being part of the highest training level, and wishing to commit to swimming as their main non-academic activity


NATIONAL PREP

  • The national prep practice group is designed for those swimmers wishing to pursue the heights of their abilities as a senior swimmer.
  • These swimmers have shown the ability to perform consistently within practices, possess a positive attitude, have adapted their strokes to a more efficient level, and show the desire to achieve at the highest possible level.
  • This practice group also consists of swimmers who posses the above mentioned qualities and have pared down their activities so that swimming is their primary non-academic activity.
  • Swimmers in this group are primarily 14 and above and devote 85% of their training sessions to conditioning and are still fully utilizing the remaining 15% of their practice toward maintenance of superior stroke techniques and turns.
  • Swimmers are expected to have mastered consistent execution of the entire workout on a daily basis and are taking responsibility for their swimming success.
  • This practice group has three training levels that can expect to swim 5,500 to 9,000 meters/yards per day.
  • Dryland and weight training is an integral part of the training regiment to increase core body strength, better balance, and increase individual athletic ability. 
  • Practice expectations are graduated by experience:
    - Freshman and below are expected to attend at least 11 practices every two weeks (mornings are optional for these swimmers and do not count towards the total).
    - Sophomores are expected to attend at least 13 practices every two weeks (one of which, each week is a morning workout).
    - Juniors and seniors are expected to attend at least 15 practices every two weeks, including mornings.
  • The national prep swimmers, parents, and coach will sign an agreement of understanding specifying the training standards, commitment requirements (meets and practice attendance), and expectations for the coming season.
  • National prep swimmers with a national level meet qualifying time who are team leaders and have sustained consistent performance that exceed the standards for the group may apply to be a national team member


NATIONAL TEAM

  • The national team members are select swimmers that must meet specific criteria as determined by the head coach.
  • Each swimmer is assessed according to their achievements, demonstrated leadership, and application.
  • National team members’ level of commitment and individual capability must be sustainable at the levels commensurate with elite athletes.
  • Our national team swimmers are qualified for national level competition.
  • Members are expected to be leaders at daily practice sessions and the entire team.
  • Each swimmer will sign a contract, which will be co-signed by a parent or legal guardian in which all parties concerned state understanding and agreement with the standards established, commitment required, and expectations for the coming season.
  • National team swimmers should expect to be held to the highest standards and most rigorous training routine.
  • National team swimmers will be the epitome of CGBD swimming and will always support all teammates at all levels to the utmost of their ability.
  • National team members in most cases will participate to the exclusion of most other non-academic activities.
  • National team swimmers have achieved success on the state, zone, and national levels including Olympic trials